These Hummingbirds are tricky

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So all summer I did not see a hummer or maybe 1, 1 or 2 times. So the feeder went dry maybe 2 weeks ago and I decided I'd just bring it in soon for the season. Then I start seeing hummers looking for a drink in my dry feeder. So I refilled it and they stopped showing up again. It was almost empty today with maybe 1/2" of sugar water in it and low and behold, a young hummer showed up for a drink and then returned in about 1/2 an hour. So I filled the feeder again and that little guy has been by 5 times since noon. I also have a humming bird house I hung last year and again this year and its never been lived it but this little fellow today was really checking out that house. Maybe he'll return next year and take up residency in it.
Does anyone know about when they begin to migrate back south? Is it a temperature thing that triggers the migration or??

Last edited:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had 2 visiting regularly now that summer is coming to and end. I read that not all hummers migrate and to leave a feeder up year round? Is this true?

1725485697334.jpeg

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All hummingbirds migrate to South America for the winter as there is no food to support them here.
Nope, some apparently stay.

• December: Molting takes its toll, so hummingbirds spend time gorging themselves on the nectar and insects they can find. (Of course, some birds will stay in the U.S. through the winter, weathering chilly temperatures along the Gulf Coast. Other Ruby-throated Hummingbirds will winter even farther north -- remaining on North Carolina’s Outer Banks all year long!)

Latest posts

Top Bottom