Thinking of starting an AR build. Which lower?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glockman25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have built surplus arms, palmetto state, spikes, dpms, plumcrazy and Delton... honestly as far as fitment palmetto was best and dpms worst go figure it was most expensive

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have built surplus arms, palmetto state, spikes, dpms, plumcrazy and Delton... honestly as far as fitment palmetto was best and dpms worst go figure it was most expensive
Like I said before. I am sold on Palmetto. Delton gave me more trouble with fit and finish then any of the others.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got news for you. If one comany can sell their lower for $50, so could any of the other forged lowers. They are all the exact same in terms of machine time to make them. The real difference IMO in lowers is finish and workmanship. Whether they drill a 0.350" hole or a 0.205" hole they are still drilling a hole so the mfg cost remains the same. Its the people who know what they are doing that can sell them for more.

Noveske could probably sell their lowers for 70$ and still be making money but they sell for a premium because of the name they have built for themselves.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you considered a Plum Crazy Firearms lower? They make a good quality carbon-fiber composite lower. The complete ones sell for $100-120 depending on where you shop. You can use their hw (as in the complete ones) or you can substitute any standard hardware (in their stripped lowers) but you cannot mix & match. I assembled one last year and have been using it since without as problem. Mated to any standard light-weight upper this makes an exceptionally light M-4 (just a little over 5 pounds unloaded). I probably wouldn't make this a primary for heavy duty range use - only because I don't have a long term track record on the wear and tear factor but for general light duty use - it has been great. Oh yes, I also recommend plastic/composite magazines.

The Plum Crazy lower is made of a composite material, but it is not carbon-fiber.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got news for you. If one comany can sell their lower for $50, so could any of the other forged lowers. They are all the exact same in terms of machine time to make them. The real difference IMO in lowers is finish and workmanship. Whether they drill a 0.350" hole or a 0.205" hole they are still drilling a hole so the mfg cost remains the same. Its the people who know what they are doing that can sell them for more.

Noveske could probably sell their lowers for 70$ and still be making money but they sell for a premium because of the name they have built for themselves.

I'm sure you're probably right, and I want parts that are within spec not "close". Thats what I'm worried about.

If youve never built an AR before, how can one tell what is good quality for the cost? Speaking on all parts, not just lowers?

That is precisely why I'm asking the opinions of OSA members. I'm trying to figure out through research and then touch and feel what I want to buy.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score

Just for truth's sake, this is not entirely true.

Latest posts

Top Bottom