This is why I change my own oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a good oil change place I use. Was doing it myself, but after getting oil, tools together and dealing with the old oil I really wasn’t saving much.
Shoot, one time I changed my oil and started it up for a second after adding. Checked the level again and realized it was puking oil out around the oil filter. The old gasket from the previous filter stuck to the block and didn’t notice. I was pissed at myself but caught it before my wife took off.

Istandalone

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a good oil change place I use. Was doing it myself, but after getting oil, tools together and dealing with the old oil I really wasn’t saving much.
Shoot, one time I changed my oil and started it up for a second after adding. Checked the level again and realized it was puking oil out around the oil filter. The old gasket from the previous filter stuck to the block and didn’t notice. I was pissed at myself but caught it before my wife took off.
Did the same thing once. what a mess.

mtnboomr

Questionable Character
Special Hen
Reaction score
You want a butt-clincher? Here's one.

Years ago, I was changing the oil in my truck. I was finished and started it up. Noticed a leak from around the drain plug. I tried to tighten it, and the threads stripped.

Now the pan is full of oil and the plug is leaking badly. That's when I remembered an old trick a mechanic once told me. I took my shop vac and stuck the hose in the oil filler of the valve cover, using an old glove as a gasket. I turned the vac on, and it created an air flow from the drain plug to the vac hose that didn't allow the oil to drain out - even without the plug in.

I took the plug, ran to the parts store, bought an over-size, self-tapping drain plug and threaded it in. I ended up losing less than a quart of oil.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have my oil changed by an individual that is retired and does oil changes for a side hack. I can sit in his shop and watch everything he does. While the oil is draining, he checks the tire pressure, adding any if needed, tops off the windshield washer fluid, and checks the rear axle lube.
Then he adds 8 quarts of synthetic to my F-250 and a new wix filter.
Starts the engine for a second, resets the dash, then shuts down the engine and checks the oil level again before charging me $60.
I can't buy the filter and synthetic oil for what he charges me including his labor.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have my oil changed by an individual that is retired and does oil changes for a side hack. I can sit in his shop and watch everything he does. While the oil is draining, he checks the tire pressure, adding any if needed, tops off the windshield washer fluid, and checks the rear axle lube.
Starts the engine for a second, resets the dash, then shuts down the engine and checks the oil level again before charging me $60.
I can't buy the filter and synthetic oil for what he charges me including his labor.
That’s a smoking deal!

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What kind of oil is he using? I’d be leery of that but the rest sounds good!

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had Hibdon in Edmond "align" my vehicle. I noticed a clunking noise going over any bumps on my way home. It turns out all of the bolts they adjusted were not torqued down. You have to do everything yourself.
Since Firestone has owned hibdons for over 20 years. Employee quality has dropped to just below Sonic. IF my truck was on fire and died in front of a hibdons. I would still try and push it down the street.

On a better note. I let Big O in Edmond do the oil changes and any other services. Good folks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom