To disclose or not to disclose

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is the question. I'm speaking of mentioning to the officer that you have a concealed carry permit when you aren't actually carrying (please keep the you should carry all the time comments to a minimum). I know the law says that you only have to declare that you are legally armed when you are armed but apparently some OHP don't like it if you don't tell them about your permit. In two separate traffic stops, one where I was speeding and another random insurance check, I had different results. One OHP told me I should have told him about my permit even though I wasn't carrying because he ran my info, saw I had a permit and then he had to check with me to ask if I was armed and I should have just told him up front. And at the other stop I told the officer I had a permit and he asked where my gun was and I said I didn't have it with me and he proceeds to scold me for bothering him with that information when it isn't relevant. So, I ask which is it? Shouldn't there be a policy to keep it uniform among officers across the state? Obviously I'm not trying to run afoul of the law and I will absolutely inform immediately if I'm actually carrying. I'm just trying to play nice. Help me out.

bmwguy25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see no real reason to disclose if you're not carrying. You wouldn't walk up to a cop and say " hey Im a CCL holder but I'm not carrying". No legal recourse for not disclosing if not carrying is there?

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a friend that is an officer and he said that it gives him a little more comfort when dealing with someone who has a permit. He knows that they have passed a pretty good back ground check. So, that being said it is a tough call.

jsl_pt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I had heard we don't need to if we are not carrying, though I might mention it anyway....However the only time I have been stopped since having CCW I was driving company vehicle in McAlester, so not carrying since in company car. I though I was getting out of city limits and speed limit was climbing to 55 then to 65, however I was going through krebs apparently and it was still 45, I even passed a car knowing the LEO was behind me because I was sure the speed limit was higher at that spot, honest and stupid mistake on my part and he must have thought I was some kind of idiot for passing someone while speeding with a LEO behind me!

I completely forgot about the fact that I had my CCW since I wasn't carrying at the time it didn't even cross my mind during the stop. I gave license and insurance info, but CCW never crossed my mind since I wasn't carrying. I thought about it later that evening and wondered if I should have mentioned it anyway. Has anyone determined if it is linked to our license or tag? Do they know when they stop you if you have a CCW? I was driving company car so tag wouldn't have been an issue, however my license obviously may have if it is linked to that. But in the end he made now mention of it, was very pleasant, told me to "slow it down a little" and sent me on my way. I don't know if it was McAlester PD, Krebbs PD, or Sheriff that made the stop.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see no real reason to disclose if you're not carrying. You wouldn't walk up to a cop and say " hey Im a CCL holder but I'm not carrying". No legal recourse for not disclosing if not carrying is there?

Yeah, I know there's no recourse for not disclosing, although the officer tried to tell me that I had to inform him of my permit status. I, tactfully, told that I have read the SDA several times and am fully aware of what it requires and that I am not required to inform him unless I am actually carrying. He then changed his tune. Still though, this really isn't about proving him wrong. I'm just trying to play nice. If it makes officers more comfortable knowing upfront, hey, I get that. No prob. But then don't have your buddy down the road griping at people for letting him know.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
because he ran my info, saw I had a permit and then he had to check with me to ask if I was armed and I should have just told him up front.
Really? DL and CWL arent linked....how did he know that?
When Im not carrying (company vehicle, Officer in my office,where I cant carry) I dont show CWL.
Come to think about it Ive never gotten a ticket when I show my CWL, ...maybe Ill just start showing it whenever I have to show my ID...
.not really....Good Luck

edit: LEO in my office doesnt know I have CWL, we have talked about guns, just never had a reason to tell him I had it

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One OHP told me I should have told him about my permit even though I wasn't carrying because he ran my info, saw I had a permit and then he had to check with me to ask if I was armed and I should have just told him up front. And at the other stop I told the officer I had a permit and he asked where my gun was and I said I didn't have it with me and he proceeds to scold me for bothering him with that information when it isn't relevant.

Poppycock. Lucky guess on his part? He has nothing he can do at all, if you aren't armed. I do believe that I'd call and inquire on what he was checking and what probable cause he had for doing so. You are telling the whole story yes? I've not heard of a way that they can check on just a routine traffic stop. I'd be damned curious if it were me.

And the second one scolded you? Are you getting snippy with them? I've never had an issue with a LEO about my CCW and especially OHP. Even THP was competely cool. Yea I've had some "interactions" on more than one (or six) occasions. :lookaroun

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not getting snippy.

My nurse had the same thing happen to her. Got pulled over. Officer took her info and came back asking her "Do you have something to tell me?" "No, officer." "Are you sure you don't have something to tell me?" "Uh, yes I'm sure." In a loud and irritated voice "You are supposed to inform me if you have a concealed weapons permit...." and goes on a tirade. She calmly tells him, sorry but she understood that she only needed to tell him if she was actually carrying. He would hear none of it and threatened to "slap charges" on her.

They have access to somehow determine if you have a CCW permit or not. This is a fact.

Latest posts

Top Bottom