Toyota timing belts and water pumps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just did the TB&WP on my wife’s 2004 4.7 v8 sequoia and my 2004 3.4 v6 Tacoma. Everything went pretty well on both. It’s a job though! Especially if you actually address other things in there while it’s apart.

If anyone on here drives older Toyotas and needs to do this maintenance job, feel free to ask questions or chat about it!

Attachments

• 7B39922B-5127-454C-85FA-F1698C8726C9.jpeg
    7B39922B-5127-454C-85FA-F1698C8726C9.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 469A283B-D7B5-4DFC-9DCA-2B4D80B764DB.jpeg
    469A283B-D7B5-4DFC-9DCA-2B4D80B764DB.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice! I dropped off mine at a local shop a couple years back to do this, plus tensioner and thermostat. 28 days later i threatened them with law if they didn’t take it to Toyota as it would no longer crank after they were done and they couldnt figure it out

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
You're welcome to come work on my 2002 Solara if you like. It's got a random miss that I have to figure out. I got over working on vehicles decades ago and I don't have a shop I trust.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice! I dropped off mine at a local shop a couple years back to do this, plus tensioner and thermostat. 28 days later i threatened them with law if they didn’t take it to Toyota as it would no longer crank after they were done and they couldnt figure it out
Wow! They must’ve not had the timing marks all lined up correctly. It’s trickier than people think to get the belt on. I’ve had situations where I had to take the belt off and reinstall it like 5 times because the timing marks on the cams were slightly off. Gotta turn the engine over by hand several times and verify before buttoning it up.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow! They must’ve not had the timing marks all lined up correctly. It’s trickier than people think to get the belt on. I’ve had situations where I had to take the belt off and reinstall it like 5 times because the timing marks on the cams were slightly off. Gotta turn the engine over by hand several times and verify before buttoning it up.
They pinched the camshaft position sensor wire upon reassembly. Instead of undoing it to verify that they pulled ever fuse box out of the truck, tried to replace the computer and a dozen other things. It was a nightmare

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I'm about 1/2 way to my next TB. It's a job, but it's not terrible, unless something goes sideways. Did you do the crank seal? I bought one when I did mine, but I didn't end up replacing it. So far, no issues.

I've heard of some crazy bills for doing the job, so definitely a money saver if DIY inclined.

Got a little over 250k on an 05 LX470.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2002 Solara
Could be the valve cover seals are allowing oil to contaminate the plug wires.
That will do it as will too large of a spark plug gap.

My 1.8 Corolla engine called for .032" gap and it misfires and you can see the faint carbon tracking lines on the spark plugs.
I tried many different plug types with No success and just ended up setting gap at .025" and the problem went away.

I have changed my timing belt every 60 to 90 thousand miles and slap in a crank and cam seal while I am in there.
Got it down to less than 1 hour start to finish but it is a 4 cylinder.
I do not like a V6.

Latest posts

Top Bottom