Toyota timing belts and water pumps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are the Toyotas like my Fiat that you have to have special tools to lock the cam and crank so they can't move while you change the belt?
No

Make sure you use quality replacement parts when doing something as critical as a timing belt job. The timing idlers are usually the parts that fail, so I make sure to use Japanese or North American-made bearings. Aisin is usually my go-to, but sometimes Gates offers a higher-quality kit that has a part number that ends with an N.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is why I generally order from Rock Auto. Yes you can order parts cheaper, but they tell you what brand/part is OEM so if it’s a critical part or something hard to change you can make your choice and know you are getting quality and not just cost.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn’t mess with crank or cam seals. Not leaking so left them alone. I know a guy who replaced his seals that we’re not leaking and then wound up having a leak 10k miles later lol

There are some special tools required to really do it right. But I did the homemade tool version. Like to hold the crank pulley while properly tourque it to 200ft lbs

CST

Marksman
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this for a bit. I have a 2012 Tacoma Pre-Runner with 4.0 V6....145,000 miles on it. Its a weekend driver, since I work at home so doesnt get heavy use these days. I'm not sure if the 4.0 is a non-interference engine or not, dont want to damage it if the chain breaks. Plan to keep the truck for at least another 5 years.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Chains>belts
My 1GRE has 180k on it and running strong.
I’m one of the “crazies” that wanted the v6 in my 4th gen 4runner instead on the v8
Hard to find a 4th gen V8 these days, they are a hot commodity. Great motors but I never have understood the decision to go with a belt, or making it an interference engine if a belt were for some reason necessary.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone on here have a good Lexus mechanic that can handle the “newer” stuff? I have an 07 LS460, needs some computer related troubleshooting. Really trying to not take it to a dealer.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this for a bit. I have a 2012 Tacoma Pre-Runner with 4.0 V6....145,000 miles on it. Its a weekend driver, since I work at home so doesnt get heavy use these days. I'm not sure if the 4.0 is a non-interference engine or not, dont want to damage it if the chain breaks. Plan to keep the truck for at least another 5 years.
There is no recommended maintenance on the chain

Latest posts

Top Bottom