Toyota timing belts and water pumps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hard to find a 4th gen V8 these days, they are a hot commodity. Great motors but I never have understood the decision to go with a belt, or making it an interference engine if a belt were for some reason necessary.
If you do find one it’s usually been owned by two 23 year old overlanders. And by overlanders I mean they do donuts for 30 min straight at the first sign of snowfall

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this for a bit. I have a 2012 Tacoma Pre-Runner with 4.0 V6....145,000 miles on it. Its a weekend driver, since I work at home so doesnt get heavy use these days. I'm not sure if the 4.0 is a non-interference engine or not, dont want to damage it if the chain breaks. Plan to keep the truck for at least another 5 years.
I think either Gates or Goodyear web site used to have interference vs non listed.
A seasoned mechanic told me the belts usually break when started up on a very cold day. Like real below
freezing.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
You're welcome to come work on my 2002 Solara if you like. It's got a random miss that I have to figure out. I got over working on vehicles decades ago and I don't have a shop I trust.
According to the engine code scan, the engine is missing on cylinders 1 and 4. On this particular 3.0 each coil pack fires two cylinders. 1 and 4 are on the same coil pack so I've got one ordered and on the way. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
According to the engine code scan, the engine is missing on cylinders 1 and 4. On this particular 3.0 each coil pack fires two cylinders. 1 and 4 are on the same coil pack so I've got one ordered and on the way. Hopefully that will fix the problem.
Highly likely that will fix it. Those coil packs are notorious for causing problems

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just did the TB&WP on my wife’s 2004 4.7 v8 sequoia and my 2004 3.4 v6 Tacoma. Everything went pretty well on both. It’s a job though! Especially if you actually address other things in there while it’s apart.

If anyone on here drives older Toyotas and needs to do this maintenance job, feel free to ask questions or chat about it!
It was a job? Lol
Here is my 2007 Lincoln mkz and yes, the jack stands being used were the ones harbor freight recalls. 😊

Attachments

• IMG_0207.jpeg
    IMG_0207.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I finally got the coil pack I ordered from Rock Auto. It took about five minutes to change it and now my little Toyota is running like a top again.

As far as I know it was one of the original parts with almost 200K miles on it so I can't complain.

Latest posts

Top Bottom