Trailer Tires.....again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok. I've been thru many 'trailer rated' tires and have not found any that last over 3 years at best. Some only lasted 2 seasons.
Especially Carlisle and Goodyear. Absolute junk and dangerous. I don't buy the trailer rated talk from the manufacturers.
I have 6 year old Michelin tires on my Duramax and still going. Only blow outs I ever had were trailer rated tires that were properly inflated. Tire dealers tell me that they twist and turn. Well ok, but that's only 3 trips to the lake per year and most of that is hi way.
My trucks front end carries a diesel and it twist and turns all year long. Every day. Seems to me a good passenger tire would do well.
But my real reason for this post is to find the best brand that one would feel comfortable recommending. Or if they agree with me. 225/15's. Thanks.
Is the hitch set for it to pull level, where it will have the weight divided equal to the tires?

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the OP does live around Mustang, there is a feed store on the west side of Tuttle on Highway 37. Take a drive down there and check with them to see if they would help you get your weights.

Back in 2011, I took our 38 1/2-foot fifth wheel and Ford F450 to get it weighed. The wife was pretty sure that she had put enough stuff in it in preparation for moving into it full time to get it over the rated 18,500 lbs GVWR. They were very helpful in letting me get weights axle by axle.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a heck of load on four 15" car tires. Curious to see what that weighs.

Add:​

150 gallons fuel, 1050 lbs.
4 batteries, 300 lbs.
2 engines, 1000 lbs.
tools, gen., AC, 300 lbs.
ice chest. 250 lbs.
boat 4800 lbs.
= 7700 lbs.

PLUS
trailer. ???
beverages. ??? [wild card]

2008 Century 2400 Walk Around Specs​

• Boat Type: Outboard Boats
  • Engine Specifications
    • Quantity: 2
    • Horse Power: 150
    • Type: Gasoline
  • Hull Material: Fiberglass
  • Beam: 8'6"
  • Length: 25'
  • Net Weight: 4800 lbs.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a heck of load on four 15" car tires. Curious to see what that weighs.
True. That's the reason I keep migrating to trailer tires in 15". To get that rating per tire. Like several have said, I just don't have as many choices in 15". I should have specified 16" wheels when Stones Trailers built it.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
True. That's the reason I keep migrating to trailer tires in 15". To get that rating per tire. Like several have said, I just don't have as many choices in 15". I should have specified 16" wheels when Stones Trailers built it.
Is that a 24' Century? Dry weight looks to be 4500-5500lbs depending on the year. I see some for sale in Florida sitting on either 5k or 7k pound triple axle trailers. You probably got 15" wheels beside they're 3500lb axles.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I had a 3300 pound boat on a single axle trailer with 14’s. I don’t know what the heck the manufacturer was thinking. I would get 1 season out of trailer tires. I switched to inexpensive Douglas tires from Walmart. After that I only had one blowout in 13 years. I’d run those Douglas’s for 3 years then swap them out.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know a bunch of guys that have $30k+/- tied up in side by sides and drag them hundreds of miles a year back and forth to their deer lease on $1500 single axle trailers with whatever the cheapest tires the trailer mfg could find to put on it.
I run 10 ply tires even on my “4 wheeler” trailers, and both have tandem axles. The trailer I haul my Ranger on up there is a single axle, but it never travels more than 10 miles from my house.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some tire shops won't install passenger tires on a trailer. Probably cause passenger tires sell for much higher.
Who knows. They claim it's liability. One can sign a waiver if needed for such issues.

Latest posts

Top Bottom