Trump for Pres?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was talking about those issues versus Reagan's performance on them. Reagan pushed for stricter gun control and even expressed support for the Brady Bill. Reagan also supported abortion as Governor of the State of California. Yet Reagan is regarded as the ideal that conservatives should aspire to be.

Reagan and later Bush proved beyond any doubt that the Republican Party hates gun control when it is promoted by the Democrats only.
Reagan prohibited the manufacture of new machine guns and papa Bush the importation of "assault" rifles which are still in the books and don't seem to bother the pro gun Republicans.
We were in a way lucky that Clinton got elected and he passed the assault weapons ban. If Bush had been elected, I believe he planned to do the same with the blessing of the Republicans.
As it happened, it gave the Republicans a way to fire up their conservative base and use them to gain the majority.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yet Perot was just as left (if not farther left) than Clinton.

Are you sure the Democrat vote wasn't split between Clinton and Perot, thus shrinking the margin over Bush?

No way! Not even close.
I attended a few Perot meetings at the time and trust me, it was all conservatives. Perot's position against outsourcing (the big sucking sound, computer chips vs potato chips) and against the debt made him the darling of many conservatives.
Somebody got to Perot to get him out of the way and succeeded. Perot got Clinton elected and that's history.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember that it was a businessman (Ross Perot) who split the conservative vote....

You're right about that. Perot split off enough of the Republican/Independent vote from H.W. for Clinton to win in '92. Also, the party was highly disenchanted from "Read My Lips" "No New Taxes" Bush and his astonishingly poor choice for V.P. candidate. All in all Bush pretty much shot himself in the head in '92.

....if Trump is the alternative, I'll vote Trump.

He won't be.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what you're saying is that single-issue conservatives supported Perot while ignoring his positions on other major issues?

That's called great marketing.

Everybody decides who he will vote for based on very few issues.
That's why the most important thing for a candidate is to formulate a few talking points and ignore everything else. Even then they tell us what they will support, not giving a damn about we support.
A good example. In the last election, with the economy in big trouble, how many candidates spoke about stopping foreign aid. Business subsidies, perpetual welfare?

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never did agree with that hypothesis. I contend that Perot took votes from Bush.

I agree, I don't know how Veggie came up with his idea, people who voted that time know otherwise.
Perot elected Clinton.
Perot came under some sort of threat and was forced to withdraw. He returned to the race but it was too late, he lost a lot of his support.
Hard core Peronistas continued to support him and they were Republican voters. Clinton was elected by a small margin.
If Trump runs as an independent he will help reelect Obama.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
3rd day in a row that I flipped on Chris Tingle and he was on Trump. He must be worried. Now he is moving on to gun control, for those of you who want to see the liberal view.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
3rd day in a row that I flipped on Chris Tingle and he was on Trump. He must be worried. Now he is moving on to gun control, for those of you who want to see the liberal view.

I may watch him if I my feets wake me up in the middle of the night and his rerun is on. I could use a bath. ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom