Trump is a fascist

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I doubt that he meant to do away with trials, and my bet would be that it was just pandering, not ignorance. The death penalty is already on the table for killing Federal LEOs thanks to the "it's a Crime, Bill!" of 1994; about the only thing he could actually do is require Federal prosecutors to seek the death penalty in cases involving the death of a Federale instead of them having prosecutorial discretion.

Personally I think it's a great idea. It'll cut down on plea dealing. Either prosecute your case or don't bring it at all.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally I think it's a great idea. It'll cut down on plea dealing. Either prosecute your case or don't bring it at all.
In general I agree, but there has to be some room for a prosecutor to negotiate in some cases. F'rinstance, what do you do about a mid-level guy who kills a Fed? If an EO requires that they seek the death penalty, that removes the prosecutor's ability to take the death penalty off the table in exchange for the guy rolling over on the bigger fish.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In general I agree, but there has to be some room for a prosecutor to negotiate in some cases. F'rinstance, what do you do about a mid-level guy who kills a Fed? If an EO requires that they seek the death penalty, that removes the prosecutor's ability to take the death penalty off the table in exchange for the guy rolling over on the bigger fish.

Yea I hear ya. Some sort of controls need to be worked out though because this whole process has morphed into a great resume enhancement tool for prosecutors not to mention a really effective bludgeon to be used against the people. It's a win win for them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom