Ugliest deer ever...or trophy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie Marine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know whats amazing. The quality of bucks we have in Oklahoma now! For those of you that can remember, think back as short as 15-20 yrs ago. We had plenty of deer, but you'd be lucky to get one decent 8 or 10 point on camera. Now they are freakin everywhere! If I don't have at least a couple of "shooters" on cam before season I am disappointed. LOL

Go back 25-30 years and you were lucky to see a buck period! My how things have changed.

In this particular county in SW OK, there was a single deer seen a mile from my house in 1978 and it made the newspaper! There was a parade of cars in the mornings and evenings driving up here just hoping to see it. In 1984 (I believe) there was a 1st deer season here and only 4 deer were checked in. Now we are close to 1,000 deer checked in per season, and I can see close to 100 deer an evening on the cotton field behind my house in late summer. So yes it is a conservation success story.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
In this particular county in SW OK, there was a single deer seen a mile from my house in 1978 and it made the newspaper! There was a parade of cars in the mornings and evenings driving up here just hoping to see it. In 1984 (I believe) there was a 1st deer season here and only 4 deer were checked in. Now we are close to 1,000 deer checked in per season, and I can see close to 100 deer an evening on the cotton field behind my house in late summer. So yes it is a conservation success story.

I've quail hunted in the Gould area several times and was amazed at the number of deer and deer sign, I like that open country!

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I killed this one several years ago, knew what he was when I shot him, shot him because I liked the strange rack. So, yes, I'd shoot the one in your photo!

img.photobucket.com_albums_v380_GonHuntin_IMGP1222copy.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v380_GonHuntin_IMGP1233.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v380_GonHuntin_IMGP1226.jpg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a triple beam buck on camera last year and actually hunted him, but I opted to killed a 160 class slick 10 instead. There was a cool factor to the screwed up buck though.

orangeRcode

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know whats amazing. The quality of bucks we have in Oklahoma now! For those of you that can remember, think back as short as 15-20 yrs ago. We had plenty of deer, but you'd be lucky to get one decent 8 or 10 point on camera. Now they are freakin everywhere! If I don't have at least a couple of "shooters" on cam before season I am disappointed. LOL

Go back 25-30 years and you were lucky to see a buck period! My how things have changed.

I've only been deer hunting about 5 years so I have no history prior to that. What do you attribute this to? Better enforcement and management?

Latest posts

Top Bottom