Walmart Work Release?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate shopping at Wal-Mart but I don't hate Wal-Mart. I'd like to let the Waltons run our country for a while. We'd be back on top where we should be and out of debt. Sam Walton is the very definition of what is right with capitalism. Walton held himself to a different standard and looked for handouts from no one. He was hard working, competitive, frugal (was still driving a 20 yr old pickup when he passed away) and intelligent.
There is no doubt that Sam Walton was business brilliant, he was a patriot that supported & promoted American manufacturing. The current management of Wal-Mart is not.

I once heard the CEO at Wal-Mart talk about his first encounter with Sam Walton. He said they were getting ready to open a new Wal-Mart when Sam asked him to ride with he and his brother over to a local Gibsons store. When they left the store, Sam asked him what he saw. This young up and comer began to talk about how the Gibsons store was dirty, had an unfriendly staff, etc., etc. Sam replied that he noticed their pillows were 2 for $5 and they were 2 for $7 at Wal-mart. He looked for all the things Gibsons was doing better because he always respected his competition and pushed himself to do better.
He also respected his suppliers.

Without Wal-mart, the average American would probably have a $40 bucks less in the pocket every week, or $40 more on their credit card, or $40 less on their food stamps card. Even if you don't shop at Wal-mart, things are cheaper elsewhere just because they exist. Wal-mart makes every effort to buy products made in the USA when they can. Unfortunately, our American work ethic ain't what it used to be.

You're probably right, but now the average WORKING American is out $40/week in taxes to support folks with no skills or education that 30 years ago would have been a line worker in a production plant somewhere.

American work ethic my arse...there isn't anywhere for a lot of these lazy Americans to display their work ethic. Grocery stores, union & non-union paid hourly workers more 30 years ago than Wal-Mart pays it's current hourly workers, and back then you actually got customer service....because there was competition.

I guess the beauty of Wal-Mart is, today I can walk in and pay $500 for a TV made in God knows where and it will last about 5 years, where as 30 years ago I would have paid $500 for a TV made in America that would have lasted 20 years.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is the latter 500 adjusted for inflation?

Does it matter? Today I have to send $2000 to China to get the equivalent of $500 that stayed in the U.S. 30 years ago.

I understand that some people are only concerned about themselves, but those selfish ambitioins are putting our neighbors out of work.

nich018

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you grab a car or handbasket, you are VERY likely to fill it. It's a psychological thing.

When I was there, they upgraded the handbaskets to be about 1.5" deeper. That raised the average value from $30 to $51. They also changed to longer, wider, and deeper shopping carts. Those went from $96 to $240. At least those are what they were telling us. By the way, the carts are designed to make it easier for you to catch a glimpse of what someone else has in theirs so you can keep up with the joneses.

The WM here are doing away with the handbaskets. My inlaws have gone to 2 different stores and mgr. told them they do not have them anymore.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does it matter?

Comparing today's $500 to $500 from 30 years ago is apples to oranges.

Today I have to send $2000 to China to get the equivalent of $500 that stayed in the U.S. 30 years ago.

Something I learned from some people I know who sell import jewelry: there is a ton of markup by the American importer.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Comparing today's $500 to $500 from 30 years ago is apples to oranges.

You're right, in 1980 the average manufacturing worker had to work 68 hours to buy a TV that would last 20 years. Today that same employee has to work 133 hours to pay for enough TVs to last 20 years.

Something I learned from some people I know who sell import jewelry: there is a ton of markup by the American importer.

Yeah, great, so how is that good for America or the economy?

mild bill

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
When Walmart firrst came town we weren't going to shop there but stick to the Mom and Pop stores, but then things got so high, we had to trade there. The same thing when when Firelake grocery came to Shawnee,they were charging us tax, but the City and the State weren't getting them, but it turns out, with the roads and the other things they do, we're getting more for our tax dollars than we would the other way around.

Latest posts

Top Bottom