Walmart Work Release?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I miss KMart

I don't.

We have one here. Prices in most of the store are 50-60% higher than Wal-Mart, with the exception of electronic cables. Those are 200-300% higher.

I only go there for two reasons: Craftsman tools and when I don't have time to drive to Weatherford.

Perrone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't.

We have one here. Prices in most of the store are 50-60% higher than Wal-Mart, with the exception of electronic cables. Those are 200-300% higher.

I only go there for two reasons: Craftsman tools and when I don't have time to drive to Weatherford.

They didn't used to be like that until Walmart shut them down in most places I've lived.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They didn't used to be like that until Walmart shut them down in most places I've lived.

The one we have in Clinton has never been competitive. I mean, Wal-Mart is 15 miles down the road one way, 30 another way, and 35 yet another. Even their consumables are priced 50-60% higher than the grocery stores.

What made me laugh when I worked there for a short period of time was their margins... in many cases they would have been better off taking a U-Haul to Wal-Mart to restock.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
VM, the reason Wal Mart can get away with their negotiating practices is because they destroyed the competition. They've also destroyed manufacturing with their insane profit margin demands, now they import a large part of their merchandise. Other than low prices for low quality goods, how is that good for us?

Rabbitcreekok

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Perhaps I don't understand, but when WalMart opens a new store in any town, I don't think there is any law or anyone forcing the public to shop at WalMart. The public still has the option to shop at the Mom and Pop stores, if they so desire. I guess that folks just want to shop at WalMart for the lower prices.

The local retailers here that are still in business have found a niche where they sell their product and still stay in business. The poorly operated businesses that depended upon the higher prices and try to compete directly with WalMart are the ones that don't last.

Our WalMart is store 121 and for many years was the top store in sales in the entire chain and there are lots of local stores that survived.

Just remember, that if you don't like Wallyworld, just say no and don't go there.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
VM, the reason Wal Mart can get away with their negotiating practices is because they destroyed the competition. They've also destroyed manufacturing with their insane profit margin demands, now they import a large part of their merchandise. Other than low prices for low quality goods, how is that good for us?

Wal-Mart didn't destroy the competition. The competition destroyed themselves by not adjusting to changes in the local free market. The customers who opted to shop Wal-Mart rather than the "mom and pops" also contributed to "destroy[ing] the competition."

Tell me. What exactly has Wal-Mart done wrong here? Maximize profits? Should this be a sign that the free market doesn't work? Is something automatically of lower quality just because it's imported? Is American manufacturing truly superior to that of other countries?

Rajder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is something automatically of lower quality just because it's imported? Is American manufacturing truly superior to that of other countries?

Uh, yes.

You have obviously never worked in manufacturing. I'm not saying that America is the best in the world. But compared to China, Taiwan, etc its not even close. In manufacturing today its commonly accepted that we have to use Chinese crap that has terrible quality but we are forced to use it because it's extremely cheap which allows the price point to stay competitive and profit margins to stay high. We tell the customer that the quality is the same but we all know that it isn't. We just cover up the deficiencies.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Uh, yes.

You have obviously never worked in manufacturing. I'm not saying that America is the best in the world. But compared to China, Taiwan, etc its not even close. In manufacturing today its commonly accepted that we have to use Chinese crap that has terrible quality but we are forced to use it because it's extremely cheap which allows the price point to stay competitive and profit margins to stay high. We tell the customer that the quality is the same but we all know that it isn't. We just cover up the deficiencies.

The only prone-to-abuse manufactured goods I use normally are tools and cars, and I know that my personal experience is that in some instances the American-made product is of lesser quality than the Asian-made product, and sometimes (quite a bit more often than the Asian product) of lesser quality than the European-made product.

Latest posts

Top Bottom