Wannamacher report - one word: Dead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
My thoughts are: if you bring it to a gun show and put it on your table and don't want anyone to touch it, then get the hell out of the show and go to a museum.

Sure, I understand that there are a lot of idiots that get grab-happy and there are those that try and steal stuff, but you've got to come up with a more customer-friendly approach (a glass case where you have to ask is a good idea).

Lots of our vendors on this site aren't rude and manage to handle their customers with good rep-or - and folks have been doing it for years at W and other shows. Just seems like everyone's getting more and more gripey about it every year and it makes me walk away from the show gripey.

This! x1000

Especially the collectors who have 500 Winchester 1894s made in 1894, priced at ONLY $5k each, and they're all "one of a kind" and they have huge "do not touch" signs, but the guns are hanging 12" into the aisle. WTF?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My thoughts are: if you bring it to a gun show and put it on your table and don't want anyone to touch it, then get the hell out of the show and go to a museum.

Sure, I understand that there are a lot of idiots that get grab-happy and there are those that try and steal stuff, but you've got to come up with a more customer-friendly approach (a glass case where you have to ask is a good idea).

Lots of our vendors on this site aren't rude and manage to handle their customers with good rep-or - and folks have been doing it for years at W and other shows. Just seems like everyone's getting more and more gripey about it every year and it makes me walk away from the show gripey.

I agree, to an extent. While sellers should expect that people will pick up their wares without asking, I feel it's also incumbent upon those on the other side of the aisle to refrain from just picking up a firearm for no reason. I've seen people pick up pistols and then just cavalierly toss them - yes, toss them - back onto the table. Twice I've seen someone drop a pistol onto the floor. It was an accident to be sure, but in both cases I was certain the handler was singularly careless in turning over the pistol in his hands. One of these pistols, a Luger, ended up with a cracked grip. The guy who dropped it mumbled "Sorry" and scurried away. I've also seen someone pick up an SKS, extend the bayonet, and play around with it for the amusement of his friends. So I can understand a certain amount of anxiety on the part of sellers when someone picks up a firearm with less than respectful caution.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I only go every couple years anyway. Sounds like I'm still a year or two away from going again. I'm just tired of the mentality of these shows, the good ones and the bad ones. First they charge you a stiff entry cost and then everyone has high prices on thier stuff because the promoter is sticking it to the dealers also. I'm thinking the promoter is the only one making any money. There's so many other places you can go to get what you want these days. I'm afraid they are dying a slow death.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was in the tree by 5:45 on Saturday, saw some good movement but no shooter. Went to town for lunch to get some 6 volt batteries. Back in the stand by 2:30, saw the biggest deer I've seen hunting and launched an arrow, no joy. Sunday in the stand by 5:55 (after seeing the monster, I wasn't in a hurry) saw some more movement and a shooter, just not in range. Home by 4:00. All and all, not a bad show.

mbear53

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was with the Old Dog Gunshop at 10B, and he sold over 100 guns. He sold 30 on Friday to dealers. One of his better shows. The crowd size however was down for both days. Sure, there's a lot of stuff overpriced, and stuff I'm not interested in, but it will have to get a whole lot worse for me to miss it. If you made the show in one day, you probably wouldn't know if there were any good deals or not. Just too much ground to cover.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of those guns are extremely valuable and I wouldn't want a kid (or anyone else) pawing at them. However, there is a very simple solution....put them inside glass cases. That way the seller can control who touches them.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Some of those guns are extremely valuable and I wouldn't want a kid (or anyone else) pawing at them. However, there is a very simple solution....put them inside glass cases. That way the seller can control who touches them.

Exactly! I don't care what it's worth, either put it behind glass, or quit bitching about people touching it.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did get pissed with one of the vendors there. My 12 year old picked up a gold gun sitting on the table. A lady working there rudely told him to get his hands off it, and put it down.

Did it look like this?

awww.everydaynodaysoff.com_wp_content_uploads_2010_02_Desert_Eagle_Tiger_Striped.jpg

:rotflmao:

Latest posts

Top Bottom