We are about to have a Texting while driving law

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When your best argument is "why have a law that people aren't going to follow," then the logical next question you should be prepared to answer is just what laws you do support. You know, since people break pretty much all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I support laws such as "though shall not commit murder" and I do not support laws like "keep off the grass".

I like the way Congressman Traficant put it when it came to rules and regulations over us:

July 29, 1998

Mr. Speaker, the Lord's prayer is 66 words. The Gettysburg Address is 286 words. The Declaration of Independence is 1,322 words. U.S. regulations on the sale of cabbage, that is right cabbage, is 27,000 words.

Now that is enough to give Hulk Hogan's dictionary a hernia. Check this out. Regulatory red tape in America costs taxpayers $400 billion every year, over $4,000 each year, every year, year in, year out, for every family.

Beam me up.

With regulations like this, it is no wonder American jobs keep moving overseas.

Mr. Speaker, I want to yield back all of the reg writing bureaucrats in Washington, D.C. that never stood in an unemployment line.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some do. Some don't. Those who choose to speed (regardless of whether it's in higher fine area) do so despite the laws. Texting and driving will likely have the same result.

Handling auto insurance claims, I don't see any decreases in accidents in states where these laws exist. More recent studies are finding the laws are ineffective, which is contrary to many of the earlier reports used to promote and lobby these laws. As a company, we support this legislation. As an individual, I see it as a huge waste of time.

out of curiosity, do you know how long it took for drunk driving laws (and education programs) to become effective? I can't imagine they were immediately successful

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ya know, they shouldn't have a law against speeding in school and construction zones, doesn't do any good.

Call me an authoritarian, but reasonable speed limits in these zones do not piss me off...I don't like speed traps, but if this is used to get the jerk in the 1 ton flying through the school zone while I obey the law then I like it when these people get caught! It's like cutting in line...nobody like a cutter.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Call me an authoritarian, but reasonable speed limits in these zones do not piss me off...I don't like speed traps, but if this is used to get the jerk in the 1 ton flying through the school zone while I obey the law then I like it when these people get caught! It's like cutting in line...nobody like a cutter.

Gasp!!! You support a law that PREVENTS and MITIGATES risk to others? How authoritarian of you!! Why not only punish that jerk in the one ton after he's run over a kid?

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gasp!!! You support a law that PREVENTS and MITIGATES risk to others? How authoritarian of you!! Why not only punish that jerk in the one ton after he's run over a kid?

So is the crime speeding, or killing the kid?
I think a page or three ago, it was acknowledged that some traffic laws are expected and reasonable. But that's cool if you need to spin it to make the argument.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So is the crime speeding, or killing the kid?
I think a page or three ago, it was acknowledged that some traffic laws are expected and reasonable. But that's cool if you need to spin it to make the argument.

With arguements like this, I bet this thread hits 30 pages soon, if not more....

Latest posts

Top Bottom