Weird AR jamming issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll tear apart the gas system this week and give it a thorough cleaning/inspection.

How long do the BCG parts usually last before needing replacement? I'll probably replace the springs while I'm at it since it's a cheap/easy fix, but if this is something that needs to be done regularly I might buy a bunch just to have on hand.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll tear apart the gas system this week and give it a thorough cleaning/inspection.

How long do the BCG parts usually last before needing replacement? I'll probably replace the springs while I'm at it since it's a cheap/easy fix, but if this is something that needs to be done regularly I might buy a bunch just to have on hand.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I think you would be best served by starting with the simplest possible remedy and test after each change. Otherwise you could end up chasing your tail looking for the problem. You could change the BCG out for a known good item and eliminate most of the issues mentioned in one go, but I would do it piece by piece starting with the ejector. One thing you may try if you dont want to remove the ejector, since it can be a pain without the right tool, is just swap out the bolt with a known good bolt and put your old extractor and spring in the new bolt.

The bolt springs, extractor and gas rings should be changed out at around 5000 to 7500 rounds for a carbine length gun with that length of barrel.

You can measure the length of the buffer spring and determine if it is needing replacement. Replace if it is shorter than 10 1/4 to 10 1/8 inch long. New they should be 10 3/4 to 11 inches long.

but would that only bother the first mag? and not the others after?

I am looking at it like an intermittent problem and basing that on him not using the same magazine every time he has the failure. I am guessing that he rotates several mags and the possibility that the same magazine was the first to be used at each session of shooting is slim. Also, I think there is a possibility that the ejector channel is gunked up which clears itself after a few rounds down the tube.

Last edited:

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At first I thought it was ammo because it only happened on the first mag, but it happens every time. It'll happen 2-3 times on the first 30rd mag, then be fine the rest of the day.
Since it only happens with the first mag I'd start by looking really closely at your lube regimen - either for somewhere that's got a bit too much lube that gets burned off/blown out while shooting, or alternatively for somewhere that needs a bit more lube and accumulates some during operation. If you don't usually lube your buffer spring that may be a good place to start.

Latest posts

Top Bottom