Well They Just Let The Guy Go Next To Me........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Much like when a new President comes into office, I have officially taken control of our "big red book" that has all of the information about our server. I had been in about 60% control of it. Now I have 100% of it under my responsibility.

That's a bit of job security there. Now find other ways to weld yourself to the position, like becoming the Right Hand man for the Right Hand man....LOL.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds good Jestik.

I have to agree with what Rhodesbe posted about being proactive and making it clear you want to be the best employee you can be.
There's nothing wrong with just asking your boss "is there anything I could be doing better or improve on to be a better employee" and see what comes back at you.
Sometimes we tend to get complacent and take our jobs for granted.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry to hear. I agree with some of the others. You probably have nothing to lose by asking him straight up. I also agree with what Hobbes said.

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spoke to the boss and made it abundantly clear that I am in for the long haul (been here over 5 years), and that I am willing to overcome any obstacles to make where I work better and more profitable. We've trimmed pretty much ALL the fat here at the office that there is to trim, but I thought that was the case before my co-worker was let go, so who the heck knows.

All I know is that I've got more responsibility,and that I get to keep a job I love. What this has shown me is that while I've got more than enough in savings to tide me over for the time being, I can always use more and I need to pay my credit card down, just to be more prepared.

Having dinner with the family tonight to unwind.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get that card down. Operate on their money. All my card companies hate me, because I stay current on their money. Didn't for years.

Congrats on keeping the job.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Glad to hear it turned out good.

Good on you for being proactive and talking to the boss too. Shows initiative and drive. If more jobs have to be cut in the future, that may give you the edge you need to survive another round.

24T_missilejock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im glad it all worked out well for you. I know the feeling of panic also. I am part of a pretty big layoff myself (110 of us). My last day is next monday but will be paid 'till July 12th.

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad to hear it turned out good.

Good on you for being proactive and talking to the boss too. Shows initiative and drive. If more jobs have to be cut in the future, that may give you the edge you need to survive another round.

We are down to three people in the office, one of which is the pilot for aircraft (and therefore cannot be cut). After the pilot, there's the guy that trained me and me. That's it. If anyone else gets cut, it would have to be me.

But we are making good money as a company right now, so I don't look at this as a financial decision. This was made because a guy messed up one too many times, and it cost us $58,000.00

Latest posts

Top Bottom