What’s a good .22lr handgun option for plinking/ the occasional vermin removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
while i'm sure a buckmark is better, and 22/45's are basically a target pistol, i have....6? different configurations of rough rider, i know a guy with at least 2...so i know i've shot almost 10 of them.

i had no problem hitting empty 12 gauge shells at 20 yards. that's good enough for me lol. i guess some of ya'll need to bullseye every time, or maybe yer eyes just ain't so hot, hell one of my barkeeps doesn't even have a front sight and i swear to god if you shoot it a bit it DOES shoot in the same spot and you find it pretty quick.

....are ya'll shooting .22 pistols at like...50 yards? all the time?
I always shoot 800-1000 yards. That's why I have so much trouble finding a range. :D

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
i mean don't get me wrong, i go after 2 liters with my model 19 all the time atta hunnard yards don'tcha know. hit more than i miss, especially from a bench, but still.

a bigger target like a clay on a berm? sure that's still an easy target for any heritage i've ever shot, and yeah i've shot almost a dozen of them.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am glad to a .22 with the price point of Heritage. Anything to get more interested in shooting.

We use clays and crabapple for targets. Lots of soda cans and the occasional golf ball. Great thing about .22, everything is a target.

That price point is why I bought, mainly for grandkids to enjoy.
I shoot CAS and 10yo grandson goes with me. He had trouble hitting the 8" gongs at 10 yards. Even at 7. I tried them and had the same problem. Another shooter's 12 yo son shot Heritage and done well. Tried my 2 and agreed, they were crap.

I will stick my 3 Single Sixes and may buy more, but never a Heritage.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
yeah i mean....i dunno....missing 8'' target at 10 yards seems like there is something wrong with the gun. that's.....not normal lol. i assure you.

Spitfire

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking for something accurate and reliable what have you had the best experience with
Pretty hard to go wrong with just about any .22 handgun these days. Go for personal preference-revolver or semi-auto. Hard to beat a Ruger MK any MK. Of course the MK IV is much easier to clean. Seems longer the barrel the more accurate it is. My MK II Competition Target 6 7/8" slab side barrel is incredibly accurate. But even 4" and under shoot well. I have a S&W Model 18-3 4" Combat Masterpiece that's way more accurate than I'll ever be. About the only .22 I would not recommend would be the Rohm RG 14. Terrible little gun I inherited from my father. Even John Hinckley couldn't hit President Reagan from 20 feet away firing all 6 rounds. It took a ricochet to do it!

Latest posts

Top Bottom