What are you shooting this deer season?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
photos.smugmug.com_Other_Minolta_Hi_Matic_7SII_i_bDZ968D_1_L_84700009_L.jpg

The little Whelen. It's really my perfect deer gun. Tiny, light, simple, thumb safety, medium caliber thumper. It's the length of a '94 and not much heftier than my .44 Carbine (which I never take out even though I say I will), and it does everything better...once.

Nice. I sold off my rugers but I'd like to find a No3 in 45-70 or .223.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
photos.smugmug.com_Other_Minolta_Hi_Matic_7SII_i_bDZ968D_1_L_84700009_L.jpg

The little Whelen with the VX3 1.75-6x. It's really my perfect deer gun. Tiny, light, simple, thumb safety, medium caliber thumper. It's the length of a '94 and not much heftier than my .44 Carbine (which I never take out even though I say I will), and it does everything better...once.

Damn Ridge ... I'm impressed ... with both your gun and your photography skills ... Very nice pic!

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys! That pic was with my old Minolta Hi-Matic 7SII film camera. I love that thing.

Hopefully it'll be laid across a buck next time it gets its picture taken. I'm hitting rifle hard because I've been a weekender through bow so far. Work is keeping me in town this week and judging by yesterday, this will be the best week of the year.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Custom Mauser in 7x57 - Czech action, custom octagonal/round barrel, double-set triggers, Leupold Mk 4.

After I feel like the freezer is sufficiently stocked, I may try my Mini-14, or get the Garand out, who knows? I always try to kill one deer with a surplus rifle - I still haven't shot one with my K31......

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
It's one of the Lipsey's run of 250 they did in 2011. Before that I almost bought a stainless one, but a stainless single shot makes my stomach turn. These came out and I was on them like Jerry Sandusky on a cub scout.

Nice rifle and catch. Noted the black recoil pad and wondered if you switched it or it if it was a newer run.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if I was going hunting it would be the Ruger #1 .270, 130g hornady sst.

But since I had shoulder surgery, I'm not about to shoot anything .

Latest posts

Top Bottom