What is your most comfortable carry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been looking through these posts for quite a while. If you OC, you might as well be wearing a target on your T-Shirt VS I want to see the surprise on his face when I pull out my CC firearm and confront the BG.

My self, I want my car keys back into their 50 year old tradition of being in my right front pocket. Yes, I may carry my "mouse gun" slightly showing in my back pocket, which is much better to sit on than my keys, but occasionally, or more, I would like to carry a "real firearm -- 45" at times that most likely will print and even more likely, need to be outside my shirt for the world to see.

I would like to know, since most of us have tried to "dress around our firearm" for quite a while, now that we do not HAVE to do that, what would most comfortably work for you, and what your preference would be?

My self, I have no desire to "surprise" anyone. On the other side of the spectrum, I am not concerned someone might see me printing or "hanging out" to pick me out as a target.

I want to carry comfortable for me. One of my reasons to OC is that I wore a tool belt many years in my life, OC works for me as feeling natural, and comfortable. (I am on my 7th holster IWB, OWB and others) If you are not familiar with firearms and confront, I will be happy to talk with you. I think I will feel more natural to be comfortable most of the time than the small amount of time I may have to spend talking to some people about why my firearm is out in the open. I intend to start out with the statement that I am the same person with a firearm here that was here last month (day, week, year, etc) but because of a new State law, I no longer have to hide my firearm and put up with it pinching my skin or bruising my bones, etc. Oklahoma is now like 44 other States. (wish Beer laws were the same)

Now that Oklahoma has become the 44 state that has made open carry legal, however you have to have training if you have a license to be legal and because of that (I will not tell them that was a joke and had to do way more on my own) and my personal dedication to following up with intense practice, (True) I am legal to carry like this (Open attached picture) and hope "parking lot punks" decide to pick on someone else who they think might be an easier target. "I am walking to the parking lot, as are you.

I am allowed to do this wile utilizing part of my 2A rights as an American Citizen to be comfortably dressed, not hidden and pinched. Just My Opinion..................

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tried to post pictures, says they are too big. WTF, but so what. What I have is a $40 Duty belt and holster found at flea market which I wear just above my belt line, which is comfortable to me 23/7. Colt 45 1911 with hammer down retention thumb strap at the waistband. (Retention, what the hell is that?, ok this is how it works) Bonus for all you "watch for the surprise" posters, my hammer down is a Double Eagle 1911. Yes hammer down, one hand with Double Eagle DA function, (like a kel-tec p3at first shot only), Hammer down, live in the chamber, pull the trigger to fire, std 45 auto short pull remaining shots. I tend to pull 3" a little right my first shot, others are better.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My brain hurts now but I will bite. I have found my favorite carry so far is the new shield; however, now that I don't have to worry about printing I might go back to the M&Pc for extra capacity.

flybeech

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've got a few laying around, but their size and weight meant I simply never picked them up and carried them off with me. Y'all can laugh all you want, but I always reach for my 6.5 ounce Kel Tec P-32. Size matters and I can't tell you how many times I've been chastised for thinking a .32ACP is big enough, but it's so small and light that I find myself always with it. Right or wrong, good or bad, my little P-32 has become pure habit and it's always, always with me. I can get it out fast and put holes where I want 'em. My friends rip on me for carrying a pea-shooter, but no one has yet volunteered to stand in front of it.

Now that our 2A privilege has been extended to OC, I've bought a locally-made tan Looper Leather retention hip holster for my M&P .45ACP and have started practice wear and drawing, to get the feel. There is a good chance I will adopt OC, since the side arm actually does feel comfortable, draws easy and is just a more effective weapon, but I seriously doubt I will quit carrying the P-32. Not having it with me is very uncomfortable.

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now that our 2A privilege has been extended to OC
Unlike driving a car, for example, which is a privilege and requires a license and can be taken away, the Right to keep and bear arms is a God given, natural right that is recognized by the Second Amendment. It is NOT a privilege.
:)

bootsbaker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I plan on carrying the same way I always have inside my waist band right front hip. that is just what is comfortable for me. that being said, I do wear alot of jackets/blazers and am curious about a shoulder holster. Has anyone carried with one? what is it like? Are there differences between men and women shoulder holsters etc?

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unlike driving a car, for example, which is a privilege and requires a license and can be taken away, the Right to keep and bear arms is a God given, natural right that is recognized by the Second Amendment. It is NOT a privilege.

The bill of rights was actually written by men... incredibly brave men :)

I prefer to open carry around the property, but concealed carry when I'm out and about the town.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

In theory you are 100% correct.

As a practical matter if you have to ask permission and pay money to do it then it is a priviledge whether it's carrying a gun, driving a car, opening a business etc etc etc.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I OC I'll be using one of these: Blackhawk L2 Serpa Holster with the belt loop mount.

I've got one for a full size 1911 and one for a Sig P220. I prefer the 1911 because it will hold both my full size 1911 and my Kimber Ultra Tac 2 compact 1911 which is much more comfortable to carry than the full size 1911.

The belt loop mount has adjusters so you can fit the mount to the belt width so there is no up-down movement. If one doesn't know how to release the pistol one isn't going to remove it from the holster. Took a bit of practice but presentation is very fast (way more so than from concealed).

Latest posts

Top Bottom