WHats your predictions for deer season this year?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am thinking it is going to be GOOD! I have seen more dear this year early than I ever have. On my way home from tulsa the other night back to inola I saw a bachelor group of three bucks all over 100" on the side of the highway. I would have thought the drought would have the head down but all the ones I have seen have looked healthier than last year. I am hoping this is just a small sign of what this year is going to hold.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
the reason your seeing deer this early they are eating along side the roads more because of the drought they keep roadsides mowed and all the water runs off the highway to each side and things are greener there also they are having to move more to find a drink because all the small pnds are drying up.in my part of the world caddo county i believe the bucks racks will see a decline this year. it is my opinion they lose some off mass when things are bad like it is right now,and the sad part is i think mass sure adds to the eye appeal of a good buck,but can'nt wait for season to get here i know that

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
DEER24/7 - You are on target about seeing more deer. They are really stressed because of the drought and are desparate. Expect to see smaller racks because they are lacking high protein forage all summer. They will go into the rut w/o a good base of fat. I am hearing and reading about does abandoning their fawns because they cannot support them and survive. Pray for rain.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am thinking it is going to be GOOD! I have seen more dear this year early than I ever have.

That kind of dear would get me in trouble LOL so the outlook is poor.

As far as whitetail deer, it should be a great year. Next year may be a bit worse though. In my experience during years where food and water are scarce the deer move alot more to find the food and water they need to survive making them easier to hunt during the early season. The bad part of that is that the stress is not good for the herd and bucks will most likely not reach their full potential this year. But as far as the number of opportunities to take a deer it should be a great year because they will be more active.

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am guessing I'll still be in the wrong place at the wrong time, BUT the deer will still try run into my car when I am between .5 miles and 1.5 miles from my planned "sporting area".

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't really know.

Like above posters said, I have hunted dry years that seemed to spur an increase in deer movement. Last year was actually pretty dry where I hunt, in that the creek was not flowing like usual. Deer movement was pretty slow last year. I dunno, I guess we'll have to wait and see. Luckily I hunt far eastern OK and we didn't get hit by the drought as hard as others.

One things for sure, I hope to lawd it's not unseasonably hot during deer season. That seriously might throw me into depression.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm still seeing does and fawns. This year will be Ok. Some places have had rain, some have not. My wifes uncle called me and said they have had 2 1/2" if rain in the last month. Spotty though.i
The farmers in this area put out beans after the wheat harvest, but the low rainfall has stunted them, to the point they won't produce any beans worth harvesting.
The deer will eat them, and get the protein they need.
The deer harvest has exceeded expectations every year, and I don't see this year being any different.
Like has been said, those areas where the deer have to rely on browse instead of crops, can expect a smaller antler size. For the majority of hunters, antler size has less importance than what can be put in the freezer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom