Where to start?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been into shooting as an activity for quite a while. I have recently started contemplating hunting, something before a few years ago I never would even have considered. I am wondering where does someone start learning where and how to hunt for the first time? I had tried a couple years ago to go to a WMA nearby but had a string of bad luck (vehicle got stuck thanks to a flood) that killed the idea before I got there. I am still on the fence as to whether it is for me. I won't bore anyone with my whole train of thought, but basically I have come to see hunting for food as an ethical option but still am not sure about it as a personal option. Anyone have any pointers or similar situations to share?

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, thats a big question that only you can answer.
My advise is to find a mentor that is willing to share their expertise.

For the record, I came from a no-hunting/shooting family, and I don't know how I got the bug, but it happened.
It took years of reading, more years of not much success, to finally get a smidgon of knowledge that I use now.

Are you comfortable gutting a deer, or Squirrel?

From your post you say it might be an ethical option. Are your thoughts toward survival, supplementing you family with high protein, low fat food, or just because you like the taste of it?

No matter what you decide, congrats on entertaining the option to become a hunter, and there are lots of good knowledgeble folks on this forum to assist in your decision/journey.

sleeperx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This^^^. I too came from a non-hunting family. This will be my 3rd hunting season, and I owe it to a good friend who took the time to help me out. There's no doubt you can gain most of the knowledge you need from books, internet, etc., but having a mentor helps shorten the learning curve. If you know someone who hunts just start asking questions. I've found most hunters to be very willing to help.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, thats a big question that only you can answer.
My advise is to find a mentor that is willing to share their expertise.

For the record, I came from a no-hunting/shooting family, and I don't know how I got the bug, but it happened.
It took years of reading, more years of not much success, to finally get a smidgon of knowledge that I use now.

Are you comfortable gutting a deer, or Squirrel?

From your post you say it might be an ethical option. Are your thoughts toward survival, supplementing you family with high protein, low fat food, or just because you like the taste of it?

No matter what you decide, congrats on entertaining the option to become a hunter, and there are lots of good knowledgeble folks on this forum to assist in your decision/journey.

For me I grew up hearing about hunting in the distance in a way. Both my parents didn't hunt or shoot but one side of my extended family were avid hunters (all live far away though), the other side was avidly anti-gun.

I don't really mean an option as in survival, I more meant it in that animals in the wild have a better quality of life than most farm raised animals and is better for the environment (and me without added hormones). I also feel that if one eats meat only bought from a store a disconnect forms where meat is just a commodity bought in packages and loses any connection to the animal it once was. Both of these thoughts make me look at hunting.

I think gutting a deer would be challenging (as would everything), but if I got to the point where I had a deer to gut I am sure I could do it. I have watched videos on doing it and am not squeemish about it.

For now I am stuck with the internet as no one I know hunts, at least not locally.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
give it a try leaning is half the fun,read some how to books,if you learn yourself and then are succesful it sure is a good feeling you will have it alot better chance at then when i started over 40 years ago you was lucking to even see a buck through the whole season places like beaver wma,black kettle are hard to beat if you do'nt have acess to any private land they be somebody on here that would let you smack a doe,but my feelings are if you care about the sport of hunting enough you will either lease you a spot which does cost money or knock on doors tell you find somebody to let you.i haved buddies that the only time they would deer hunt is if i would take them.heck back in the day when ever call was a long distance call i have had a 600 dollar phone bill just trying to find a place to hunt.but it does'nt have to be deer you start on heck tree rats,turkeys,rabbits,dove seasons coming up its not about getting to kill something its about being out in the woods on crisp fall morning hearing and seeing critters that you won't see in town,its about being in the woods on a spring morning before daylight hearing and seeing the world come to life as it gets daylight as opera music is'nt for everyone niether is hunting after me rambling on,if i do'nt have work all the fall and nobody else will take this fall i will give you a shout might have a doe that needs to be gone good luck to you and as Stan Potts says i just can'nt understand why everyone does'nt do this

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't really mean an option as in survival, I more meant it in that animals in the wild have a better quality of life than most farm raised animals and is better for the environment (and me without added hormones). I also feel that if one eats meat only bought from a store a disconnect forms where meat is just a commodity bought in packages and loses any connection to the animal it once was. Both of these thoughts make me look at hunting.

Ok, if I'm wrong, let me know, but it looks like your wanting to get into the class of a meat hunter to supply high protein, low fat food to your family.
Its been the early 80's since I've bought ground meat from a grocery store. My source is venison, and other wild game.
We bought a 1/4 beef a couple of years ago, and the majority of it is still in the freezer.

If your wanting to go that way, there are a couple of factions within the deer hunting community. One side says, to wait until the deer gets a big rack so they can hang it on their wall, another says shoot them all, as I want the meat and finally the last that says, take a mature deer and then shoot a doe/buck.

I'm in the last group.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think one of the best ways to learn to hunt is start with squirrels. It can be challenging, but id start with a shot gun so you can experience some success. Public lands have plenty of squirrels too.

They are really easy to clean, i think you can google some vids.

Once you kill a couple, get them cleaned, then the fun starts. Squirrel is pretty good and can be cooked several ways.

Hunting squirrels will get ya started on the way to being a good hunter.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Squirrel hunting will indeed work you into hunting very well. It takes a lot of walking, some patience, and keen eyes/ears. I'll usually hunt with a .22 for the marksmanship aspect when going after squirrels. You don't have to be as close, and when all you can see is their head, that's all you need. Good luck, there's some great public land within an hour of Tulsa.

orangeRcode

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hunted small game (rabbits and dove mostly) with my dad and grandpa when I was young. Never owned a high powered rifle for hunted any large game. A few years ago a buddy of mine from high school invited me out to go deer hunting. I couldn't make it happen due to my schedule for several years. Finally about 4 years ago I borrowed one of his rifles and went out. Never saw a deer that first season but I was hooked. I know own several rifles, 2 black powder guns, a couple of stands, and a 4 wheeler. My buddy took the time to explain alot of things and gave me pointers. He helped me field dress, skin and butcher my first deer. I've been doing it since. I've learned a bunch but learn something new each time I go out.

All that to say, find a mentor. He will show you and the way. There's alot of good info on this board and the internet as well. Good luck.

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I too grew up in a family that did not hunt. I moved to North Dakota in 2005 and tried my hand at hunting in 06. I enlisted the help of someone I thought would help instruct me on the finer arts of hunting . I bagged a button buck that year. Come to find out that person that was teaching me the finer arts of hunting was teaching me the wrong way ( meaning what he was teaching me was illegal ). I tried going out in 06,07 and 08 but no luck . I tried to find someone else to try and help me learn and no one was willing. I ended up selling my rifle in 09 so I could move back to Oklahoma. Now I don't know if I will get back into hunting or if I would be able too ( lack of the money and rifle as well as back and hip issues) but if i do I would not be willing to do so unless I had someone willing to teach me something. I know I could read every magazine on the market but sometimes I learn more from hands on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom