Where to start?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The squirrel hunting is a good idea, though I'm still leaning towards jumping in to deer hunting as I do really like venison (I realize I may not get a deer anytime soon if I do try). I do think I would enjoy doing some bird hunting as well, though I am not even sure where to start with that. Does anyone have any recommendations on places to hunt if I do? I will definitely check out Black Kettle and Beaver WMA, any others to look at? How much does leasing land cost and where would one look to do so?

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I, too have had no one to show me the ropes. I'm a chef and life-long fisherman. I decided that I wanted to kill and eat things other than catfish and bass. This year I will deer hunt for the first time. I have hunted squirrel and rabbits before and cleaned them. I'm most worried about field-dressing a deer for the first time. As a chef, I'm not squeamish at all about guts and blood and such. I just need someone to show me the proper way to do it.
I've seen YouTube videos and I'm not real impressed.
Should be simple, remove the anus, guts and separate into quarters with a sharp knife.
Someone help me out. What are the essentials that we need to know?
Thanks.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The squirrel hunting is a good idea, though I'm still leaning towards jumping in to deer hunting as I do really like venison (I realize I may not get a deer anytime soon if I do try). I do think I would enjoy doing some bird hunting as well, though I am not even sure where to start with that. Does anyone have any recommendations on places to hunt if I do? I will definitely check out Black Kettle and Beaver WMA, any others to look at? How much does leasing land cost and where would one look to do so?

cherokee, but it can get crowded opening weekend. As far as leasing, ya just gotta get out and knock on doors.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I, too have had no one to show me the ropes. I'm a chef and life-long fisherman. I decided that I wanted to kill and eat things other than catfish and bass. This year I will deer hunt for the first time. I have hunted squirrel and rabbits before and cleaned them. I'm most worried about field-dressing a deer for the first time. As a chef, I'm not squeamish at all about guts and blood and such. I just need someone to show me the proper way to do it.
I've seen YouTube videos and I'm not real impressed.
Should be simple, remove the anus, guts and separate into quarters with a sharp knife.
Someone help me out. What are the essentials that we need to know?
Thanks.

feild dressing is kinda easy, I roll em onto their back then cut em from anus, thru sternum, being carefull not to cut into stomach or intestines. Roll em onto a side and pull out whatever doesnt fall out.

I keep the liver for a buddy, the rest is for the coyotes.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was born and raised, and still live at the beach in SoCal. I have been hunting in Eastern OK with my FIL for the past 14 years or so. I did not grow up hunting or with firearms. I did own some pistols and .22 rifles but didn't shoot regularly. I attended OSU and met my wife there who is from Tulsa area. My father in law has hunted his whole life and taught me everything he knows since I have been hunting. He is a great teacher and a wealth of knowledge. I now enjoy hunting as one of the best hobbies I do. Now, I have the huge joy of teaching my 9 year old son about hunting. It is something he looks forward to every year. I even have started taking him out of school for the 3 days prior to the rifle opener so we can travel to OK and get to deer camp and settle in before opening day. It has become tradition in doing it this way. Last year we even got a letter from the school district scolding me because my boy missed 5 total days of school before thanksgiving. I laughed and was pissed at the same time. They were worried because they weren't getting their state money because of his absences.

Anyways, I love hunting. Ever aspect of it is awesome. There have been many years where I never pulled the trigger and more than a few where I killed a big buck. Sitting in the woods, watching nature and enjoying the day is all the fun. Actually shooting a nice deer is icing on the cake.

If you think hunting is something you want to really get into then, like any other hobby, make friends with hunters that can show you the ropes. Most hunters will he more than willing to help a new hunter out as many if not all true hunters and those that take this sport seriously know how important it is to get new blood involved.

Best of luck.

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate all the responses! Last weekend I went to one of the public hunting grounds and just walked around. I saw about 5 deer in about an hour of walking and found a few bedding down spots. I was pretty happy with this, though I know by rifle season they will be much more skiddish and all spots I found are likely to be over-run by others. But it was still very exciting to follow a few instincts and each time stumble upon a deer. Right now I feel that pulling the trigger would be the hardest part as I am a sucker for cute animals by nature. However, if I can pull the trigger than I would be okay with field dressing I think. Butchering I want to do myself (though I am concerned I would screw up and waste meat, something I would not be okay with). I also have a vehicle problem ( I only have a car, but may rent a truck or something). I went ahead and took a couple weekdays off from work for the season though.

I know this is a bad question to ask but what caliber would everyone recommend? I have a 7mm Rem Mag that I am a decent shot with, but I am debating another deer rifle (mostly an excuse to buy another) in 6.5 creedmoore (would be a long range gun in addition to deer gun), a .260, or .270. Any opinions? Or should I stick with the 7mm bruiser? I reload so ammo is not much of a factor.

As a self-motivator and fun aside I would love any venison recipes anyone has to share!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I appreciate all the responses! Last weekend I went to one of the public hunting grounds and just walked around. I saw about 5 deer in about an hour of walking and found a few bedding down spots. I was pretty happy with this, though I know by rifle season they will be much more skiddish and all spots I found are likely to be over-run by others. But it was still very exciting to follow a few instincts and each time stumble upon a deer. Right now I feel that pulling the trigger would be the hardest part as I am a sucker for cute animals by nature. However, if I can pull the trigger than I would be okay with field dressing I think. Butchering I want to do myself (though I am concerned I would screw up and waste meat, something I would not be okay with). I also have a vehicle problem ( I only have a car, but may rent a truck or something). I went ahead and took a couple weekdays off from work for the season though.

I know this is a bad question to ask but what caliber would everyone recommend? I have a 7mm Rem Mag that I am a decent shot with, but I am debating another deer rifle (mostly an excuse to buy another) in 6.5 creedmoore (would be a long range gun in addition to deer gun), a .260, or .270. Any opinions? Or should I stick with the 7mm bruiser? I reload so ammo is not much of a factor.

As a self-motivator and fun aside I would love any venison recipes anyone has to share!

The best caliber for you is the one that you are the most proficient and comfortable with. I'm partial to my .284/7mm's as well, but do stray away on occasion to .243/6mm, .30 cal, .338, .35 and .458. Went way out on the liimb last year on a doe with a SxS .45-70.

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_1541693751_photobucket_62359_.jpg

Last edited:

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Find a Hunters Education Course near you, and go sign up. Now is the time of year to do it.

There will probably be a lot of kids in the class, but no worries. There's good stuff to be learned by everyone. Plus, more than likely you'll have to take it before you can get a license.

The best caliber for you is the one that you are the proficient and comfortable with.

There's your answer..!

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am pretty good with the 7mm but am thinking I would be better with a slightly less recoiling rifle. I guess I'm hoping someone will twist my arm into a new rifle (though I'm saving up for a different one already).

I did take the hunters safety course a couple years ago before my failed attempt to hunt (surprisingly I was one of 3 people there). It was very useful.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'll twist for you. Go buy a .260, 308, or .270 in a Savage. Low cost, excellent out of the box accuracy, easy to find ammo for those calibers, reloading components plentiful and endless options. Car situation taken care of.........................a college buddy of mine hunted from a honda accord, he bought a super heavy duty plastic durable trash can, like the giant ones with handled formed into the sides. He would gut the deer, slide the trash can over the ass end of the deer, then fold the neck and head back over the body into the trash can. Then sling the whole can by the handles into the trunk. Be sure the have something to prop up the open end of the can so that any left over blood stays in the bottom of the can.

Latest posts

Top Bottom