Who else...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stores new batteries in the fridge? Mom always did and said it makes the stay good while being stored, so I have a battery box in the fridge.
Is there really truth in this or?

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up with a battery box in the fridge but I don't do it. We have a drawer for general batteries and they always seem to work just as well as any others.

Wojownik

Marksman
Reaction score
I always thought that if cold weather makes your car battery die, wouldn’t putting batteries in the refrigerator or freezer kill them? I’m no battery expert and I know there’s a difference, just something I always thought about when I hear people doing it. I’ve never put batteries in the refrigerator or freezer but knew people that did growing up. I honestly couldn’t tell you if it helps or hurts, but I won’t do it.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, cold weather will hasten the lifespan but that is if they are being used. Like a steak, you keep it in the fridge until you're ready to eat it. Same with the batteries the cold theoretically should slow down any activity inside the battery.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stores new batteries in the fridge? Mom always did and said it makes the stay good while being stored, so I have a battery box in the fridge.
Is there really truth in this or?
We did this at the photo labs I worked in for the Air Force. It does work, if you have the batteries wrapped to prevent condensation from collecting on them. We used a 510V battery for the flash units, and those were the best proof. Those sucker's died in a few days to a week if not stored cold. This was before alkaline batteries were common. They're not as succeptible to heat as the older carbon-zinc batteries are. They're also harder to find now. We went through hundreds of batteries a week at several of the labs. Had to buy in bulk. Kept the film in in cold storage, too. https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-eveready-510-volt-695394790 somewhere around here I may still have the flash unit and battery pack that I bought for my cameras back in those days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom