Why "Entry Level",,, Why not just "Go for It"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not a buy cheap and work up.
I prefer to see someone at mid range firearms that had better trigger's and more reliable functioning than cheap starter guns. I’ve seen too many kids ruined by someone that insisted they start with single shots after they have spent hours online shooting the top of the line firearms in video games. They hate old fudd single shots.
10-22’s fit the bill for starter rifles for most. Not the most accurate in stock condition, but they like shooting, not loading one round at a time. That’s boring to them and will quickly ruin a range day.
Get them interested in shooting fun stuff and then morph them into precision shooting as a competition or steel challenge matches where speed is king and pin point accuracy not so much. Just have to hit the plate, not the bullseye.
Kids love steel challenge because they are shooting and not laying prone loading one round at a time at some paper.
I realize this thread isn’t totally about kids but kids are the future of shooting.
For me personally, I started with a single shot shotgun in .410 that was my only firearm owned until the mid thirties. Killed everything thing I hunted snd saw no reason to have anything else.
In 1982 the ex said she was going to get a house cat. I hate cats. Told her if she did I was going to buy a center fire rifle and hunt deer. She got the cat and I got the 30-06. My hunting beagle killed the cat which I’d warned about but the bambi movie fan didn’t believe that would happen.
That started a lifetime collection.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like my first set of golf clubs. Bought em cheap at a pawn shop, found out golf wasnt for me. Glad I didnt drop a grand on custom made clubs.
I have never bought any golf clubs because I thought golf was for people who don’t hunt. LOL.

I probably just opened a can of worms.

And this is probably one of those times I should just “ delete “ this post but I won’t because then you won’t know.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have never bought any golf clubs because I thought golf was for people who don’t hunt. LOL.

I probably just opened a can of worms.

And this is probably one of those times I should just “ delete “ this post but I won’t because then you won’t know.
Oh I hunted.
Golf was for off hunting months and I had a best friend who got into it so really it was just a good reason to get together and drink beer from the cart. lol

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes, you have to start small to see if it's your "thing". In addition to guns, I have a weakness for stereo gear. Started with an old Zenith console my folks had, which got replaced with a truly craptastic Soundesign rack system from Wally World. Over the years my attention grew more focused, and I started collecting vintage gear, but it was still pretty inexpensive. Later on, I started collecting more "higher end" stuff and now I sometimes look at fairly pricey stuff and think "might be worth it". Never in a million years would I have had the same perspective when I was starting out.

Guns aren't much different. Hard to justify the big bucks at first. You grow into it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom