Why no denim?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, 100% cotton's not a great choice, especially from the waist up, if you're going to live outside for awhile, like extended backpacking or repeating 1776 arm in arm with Alex Jones. There's a lot of information for layering on the Interwebs. Army guys wear a 50/50 cotton/nylon blend as either a second layer or third layer for durability and livability. I figure the army guys know best. Stay away from goose down except for walking around Aspen looking for movie stars or you're at high altitude in the Himalayas.

Figure again. If you want to know what works best for extended periods in the field in adverse conditions, pick up the gear review issues of Backpacker, Rock & Ice, Climbing, etc. I will admit that you won't find VauDe, Marmot or Mountain Hardwear making much in earth tones (think ninja smoke) unless it's under contract, but they make stuff that will work and work well. The military is almost always a decade behind on tech whether it's the next best wrench or *gasp* a beanie that's NOT made out of wool. Now, some of that is due largely to the fact that the military has a variety of concerns that include things like...fire. If you're in a burning vehicle and you are dressed entirely in plastic...you can see where this is going. Obviously, the gear our military wears works but don't just look to them as the authorities on what works best. They use what works cheapest, then what works for their very specific needs: In that order.

Of course, surplus prices usually rock :)

Repubiman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The reason you should never wear cotton is mainly because it holds moisture against your body. Ideally, say in cold
weather, layers are suggested for making insulated layers between your body and the cold. You want your NTS (next to skin) layer to have a wicking property to pull moisture away from your body and be absorbed and drawn in by your mid level layer. Next you would dress with the third and removable layer such as gortex outer layers. And choose your heavy outer layers in such things that are removed easily as you work and build up heat.

A great base layer will usually be some type of wool or poly layer as would be also your second layer. I like smart wool brand NTS layers even though the are pricey it's what I use. The second layer top and bottom I layer with is a set of
polypropylene top and bottoms with the top having a zipper to also allow heat escape quickly if you start to warm up too
fast from strenuous activity. And the third layer can be a combo of things but usually will have bulk and weight to add
insulation value. In keeping warm, yes cotton is the worst thing to wear as it will soak up sweat and hold it without allowing it to be wicked away from the body. Even in summer a light long sleeve wool top will insulate you from the suns direct heat and allow a slow wicking cooling effect as it wicks and evaporates sweat away from you skin.

If you expect it to rain during your activity you can use rainwear as the second layer of clothing so your NTS layer and core remains warm and dry. This isn't usually needed though if you have a outer heavy layer that is water repellent such as Goretex pants and jackets or any other combo that will repell rain and moisture.

Again using zippered clothing such as tops with a zippered neck or trousers with zippers on the sides is an easy way to vent excess body heat that builds up with activity levels. Wools and wool combos as well,as poly combos make great wicking layers that move moisture away from the skin. Cotton doesn't and thus the old saying, "cotton kills."

Another tidbit on wool. During the 1800's and thru still today, many used wool blankets and clothing due to two qualities. First if it got wet, it still acted as an heat insulator and helped you retain body heat even if the wool was dripping wet. Second, it was a highly trade item for such things as horse blankets, saddle blankets, sleeping blankets top sleep under your body to insulate from the ground and on top to retain body heat. Next it was considered one rugged material
that was desireable to be made into clothing. A lot of Indian tribes used a wool blanket as their outer layer. Basically like a wool blanket with a hole cut in it for the head to go through leaving the arms free. And the military still issues wool blankets to use in bedding. There I'd several YouTube videos of people demonstrating the use of wool blankets as an emergency poncho and also how to wrap yourself with a wool blanket for sleeping and warmth.

Sorry for getting side tracked but wool is amazing as base layers for clothing and wool blankets have multitudes of uses
in emergency/survival situations. I don't leave home without a wool blanket in my vehicle year round. If it's ever grid down and you see someone wearing a wool blanket made into an impromptu poncho, be very weary what I have in my
hand/s under it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom