Would your life depend on it? Mine damn sure would, What about you?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Usmc-1

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see these questions in gun forums all the time , someone just bought a .22 handgun and enevitably someone will say "yeah its nice but would you stake your life on it"? The answers are varied ! Obviously it depends on what you bought the gun for ,If I buy a gun it has a main function and thats to protect my life , of course it may just be a plinker and or even a paperweight , but its first and foremost a life saver and anyone who buys a gun that doesnt think that shouldnt buy one, sure if you plan on glass casing it , it might look good sitting there on the wall , but nope even glass casing a WWII inscribed .45ACP , I dont care if General Patton signed his name on it , that sucker is gonna have a full mag in it and ready to fire , when I break the glass!!

Would I bet my life on it ?? You bet , I wont own a gun I cant bet ,my life on!!

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I totally disagree. I own several guns I wouldn't bet my life on. I didn't buy them thinking I might one day have to bet my life on them any more than betting my life on my big screen TV or my California King sized matress. They aren't readily available for access if I needed something to bet my life on. I have plenty of guns I'd bet my life on. They were bought for various reasons some of which may include the possible use in defending my life or that of a loved one. But that's not the only reason I own certain guns.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A .22 to hunt food certainly puts it in the catagory of maintaining your life.

The chances of using it in that capacity are certainly greater than needing it to fend off herds of roaming roughians and scallywags bent on MDK'ing you.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Totally disagree. Each firearm is different and has a different purpose. Is a .22 acceptable for self-defense, well, it sure as Hell beats a stick. However, the other part of your assertion is a little flawed. A pistol that "Patton signed his name to" is an investment piece (assuming you have the proper provenance). Why would you risk loss of value to it by shooting it?

I love guns made from about 1900-1945, especially old Colts, Walthers and Lugers. Some of the ones I own are in near mint condition and I would not risk diminishing their value. On the other hand, I have some pistols made during this period that are restored and I shoot them regularly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom