You’d Be Surprised At How Many People Don’t

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well bucket. I drew many buckets of water with that bucket, I can remember on a.hot Oklahoma summer day I'd draw a bucket and lift it over my head and push the check valve and dump water over my body. It was the only source of water from age 7 or 8 until I was 17 years old or so. In the winter the rope would have ice and sleet on it and I'd go out to get some water and the rope would zing through my hands and the ice would flake off and I'd hear the "thunk" as the bucket hit the water and then I'd hear it fill up "blub" and I'd pull it up.
That's how we watered the garden also. Thanks for looking!

Physocles

Marksman
Reaction score
Well bucket. I drew many buckets of water with that bucket, I can remember on a.hot Oklahoma summer day I'd draw a bucket and lift it over my head and push the check valve and dump water over my body. It was the only source of water from age 7 or 8 until I was 17 years old or so. In the winter the rope would have ice and sleet on it and I'd go out to get some water and the rope would zing through my hands and the ice would flake off and I'd hear the "thunk" as the bucket hit the water and then I'd hear it fill up "blub" and I'd pull it up.
That's how we watered the garden also. Thanks for looking!
Cool account of a cool memory! Approximately when was this if you don't mind me asking?

Isn't it neat how the small things can leave such big memories? And strangely enough, some can grow into fond ones?

My grandpa, who raised me through high school, didn't have running water or electricity when he was growing up in Joplin--he said he'd never wish it on anyone, especially since it was in the 40s-60s and everyone else he went to school with even had air conditioning. I wonder if he used one of these.

He rode a horse to school too since his grandpa who raised him was a bit of an eccentric and wouldn't drive or allow cars. Though grandpa did love horses and always insisted that chasing girls down on a horse was the best way to get a date as a teenager lol.

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can remember having a community well that served 5 or six families. Sometime in the early 50's it collapsed and dad with a couple of uncles dug our own. Not sure how many years we used it with a bucket until able to put in an electric pump.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I lived in that location from ~ 1952 until 1961. One hot summer day I decided I needed either a bath or to soak in a tub of water. So I drew (is that the right grammar? It sure isn't drawed). Anyway, I filled a tub with cold well water and set it under an oak tree to warm a bit and went of to do something else. I returned and dang ti if my dog wasn't sitting in the tub all proud of himself. I yelled at him and get out, I dumped the water and repeated my labor in filling the tub again.
The human mind is a mystery, events long ago seem like yesterday. I was telling that to my wife this morning that animals don't have memories, they have instincts. If someone gives them food, they know to return for the same. If they are beaten by someone, they lay low. Maybe someone else has a different opinion on animals having memories. They do remember their owners sometimes even after a long absence at least dogs seem to remember. I miss that dog and will never have another like him.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can remember having a community well that served 5 or six families. Sometime in the early 50's it collapsed and dad with a couple of uncles dug our own. Not sure how many years we used it with a bucket until able to put in an electric pump.
I remember reading the newspaper in the mid-fifties about an old man that had dug a well in OKC and was watering his yard and someone turned him in for watering during a drought when watering was restricted/banned. I could only imagine how difficult it must have been for him to dig a well deep enough to pump water-especially in the Oklahoma summer heat.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That was how I “tried” to pulled water from the well in the 80’s at my grandparents. It had an old swing set frame up over the well with a pulley. I wasn’t hardly stout enough to pull it up full by my self. About the time I got big enough enough to do it on my own they put in a manual pump like this in.

757ACED4-92D3-4F20-8E66-A944F7DA8F6C.jpeg

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was growing up, even our small town had a water system where pretty much everyone had access to indoor plumbing. That was in the late '40's to the mid '60's. Then, while working for my father-in-law in the late '70's, we had a windmill up on land near the Cimarron River. That well had been hand dug and was roughly 2 1/2 to 3 feet wide in the casing, and because it was close to the river where it was sandy, it occasionally needed to be cleaned out around the "inlet" of the pump. Because of my small size (at that time), I was the one selected to climb down into that hole to dig out sand and pass it up.

Good thing that I've never suffered from claustrophobia. Oh, and that water was dang cold.

Latest posts

Top Bottom