1st bolt action

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I've got bills squared away and now wanna get a bolt action for long range shooting and hunting. I want this rifle to be a hunting rifle that could also allow for target shooting...yes I know... I want it all.
I've held a few in stores and have settled on a Remington 700.
I think I would like a heavy barrel for target shooting and events like run n gun.
Now, if you want to convince me of another rifle, you are welcome to try. I'm budgeted at about 1000 for the rifle, excluding optics.

What I really need help with is deciding on the cartridge.

Right now, I'm thinking 30-06 cause I already reload for it, have a variety of bullets, and there are many options for bullets.

BUT, I thought, a new round would not be hard to get set up for, and the potential benefits could be great.

So what do you suggest?

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't mind carrying a heavy rifle.
Did two run n gun's with a M1 Garand, and plan on doing number 3 with it unless I find a nice bolt action.
I think hunting with one can't be much worse.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What distances will you be shooting?

If only I knew for sure...
Typical long range target shots at 500yrds but I'd like to go beyond... on rare occasions try 1000yrds

AS far as i know, 30-06 can reach out that far for target purposes. It drops a lot, not more than a 308 though.

But for hunting deer 3-400yrds? not sure...

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want hunting and target you cannot go wrong with a 6.5 of sorts. If you can find an action for a good price you could have a barrel chambered in 6.5x55 Swede, which is an excellent hunting cartridge as well as long range.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the 6.5x55 is VERY interesting. I like what I'm reading..alot!

What do y'all shoot it with?

Anyone tried a CZ 550 FS? Barrel is only 20.5 inches, is that too limiting?

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a heavy barrel savage in .308.. shoots well and i have a 30-06 but it has a pencil barrel,, still MOA or under at 500 yards for both guns but less drop with the 30-06.
I have thought about a heavy barreled 30-06.
My 22" barrel 30-06 will send the 155gr bullets at 3140fps to 3176fps accurately with no stiff bolt lift or other issues, and this is tested in 95degree heat in the sun with many rounds fired.

If you load for it and like it.. then i would assume you have a 30-06 now..What would be better about this model 700 vs what you have.
As I do not know what you have.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a heavy barrel savage in .308.. shoots well and i have a 30-06 but it has a pencil barrel,, still MOA or under at 500 yards for both guns but less drop with the 30-06.
I have thought about a heavy barreled 30-06.
My 22" barrel 30-06 will send the 155gr bullets at 3140fps to 3176fps accurately with no stiff bolt lift or other issues, and this is tested in 95degree heat in the sun with many rounds fired.

If you load for it and like it.. then i would assume you have a 30-06 now..What would be better about this model 700 vs what you have.
As I do not know what you have.

Alls i gots is an old battle rifle. M1 Garand...I think they were used in a war or sumthin... LOL

No optics on it..so out to 100 yards is my limit for shooting at game animals. Maybe If get more practice at 150 and 200, but my eyes are not getting any better.
But for such close range I'd rather use the ol 30-30.

the 6.5x55 has my interest, but the 30-06 would be convenient and certainly capable of doing what Im asking

Latest posts

Top Bottom