1st bolt action

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you will love the quality and accuracy of the cz's. i have a few but not in 6.5x55 but always have my eye open for one. i also like the ruger m77 international 6.5

The CZ550 is extremely sexy I just feel like I'm shorting myself by going with a 20.5 inch barrel. I also like that it comes with iron sights. Tikka and others do not....

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't seen or held one but there are good reports on thr Ruger RPR. You can get it in .308, 6.5 Creed, or .243. Barrels are twisted correctly and custom smiths are making after market barrels/bolt shrouds for it. Price is also in your range. Ruger built this rifle for those just like you (people getting starting in the long range game).

You can read through pages here
http://www.scout.com/military/snipe...13955138-new-ruger-precison-bolt-action-rifle

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright guys, I've been peeing my pants all day looking at different 6.5x55 platforms.

One we haven't mentioned (i think) are the mauser 98's

Is the Zastava Arms M808 a replica of a swedish M98? Sorry if thats a dumb question.
think the M808 would be a good action to build from in case i wanted to go down that road

are their actions any good?
Okay, where to start....There never was a "swedish M98". There were M94, M96, and M38 Swedish Mausers, but no M98s. You can, of course, build a M98 action with a barrel chambered in 6.5 x 55 (I have a 1909 Argentine action that I plan to do just that to). The Zastava's are certainly sound rifles. The story goes that when FN decided to cease commercial production of its Mauser actions, a concern in the former Yugoslavia (now divided into various smaller countries, to include Serbia, home of Zastava) bought the tooling and such from FN and began making its own MK X actions. They are copies of the FN commercial actions, and are quite well made. The standards of metal polishing and finishing are not up to commercial FN standards, but mechanically they are sound. And they (the Zastavas) can be found at pretty decent prices if one looks around enough. The stocks, though, are generally not much to look at. All in all, unless you just enamored with the Mauser action (I am!!), you'd probably be better served with either the Tikka or the CZ.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, where to start....There never was a "swedish M98". There were M94, M96, and M38 Swedish Mausers, but no M98s. You can, of course, build a M98 action with a barrel chambered in 6.5 x 55 (I have a 1909 Argentine action that I plan to do just that to). The Zastava's are certainly sound rifles. The story goes that when FN decided to cease commercial production of its Mauser actions, a concern in the former Yugoslavia (now divided into various smaller countries, to include Serbia, home of Zastava) bought the tooling and such from FN and began making its own MK X actions. They are copies of the FN commercial actions, and are quite well made. The standards of metal polishing and finishing are not up to commercial FN standards, but mechanically they are sound. And they (the Zastavas) can be found at pretty decent prices if one looks around enough. The stocks, though, are generally not much to look at. All in all, unless you just enamored with the Mauser action (I am!!), you'd probably be better served with either the Tikka or the CZ.

I was certain I had written something stupid...lol. Thanks for taking the time to teach me. To be honest, the extent that chambers, bolts, etc could be customized was new to me. I think this morning was when some of these ideas really began to establish in my head (hence the pants peeing. Although it was more like having a boner for half a day. Maybe I should call my doctor. Can't let the wife know, her head is already spinning from my constant gun buying, selling, and trading).
I have no affinity for Mausers so a M98 is nothing special. It was just something that I kept coming across while reading. I also read that Zastava does not do the standard barrel finishing.

I think that about ends my search. Next thing I will need is a proper scope...gun first though.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The RPR is kinda ugly

I know thats no way to evaluate a rifle, nor do I mean to demean your suggestion.

I just can't get that thought out of my head.

I understand some people like traditional styles and don't like chassis or tube guns.

Hopefully you'll find something. Personally I would shy away from the 06 and go to 6.5/.260. I would shy away from the Mauser actions as well due to very slow lock time, quality smiths that work with them, and after market support. Remington's are a crap shoot now days therefore that leaves Savage, Tika, and Howa. If you go by looks Savage is butt ugly leaving only Tika and Howa.

It's easy finding a box stock rifle that will shoot consistent out to 300-500 yds but if you wish to stretch it out to >/=1000 yds with consistency for $1000 your pickings start to get a little slimmer.

Shooting at distance takes a lot of practice and consistent reloading. Shooter fatigue with 30 cal (30-06) chamberings may enhance poor shooter performance. Staying with a 6.5 mm pushed along at 2,700-2,800fps is easy on the shooter, allows one to spot impacts, will kill anything in the lower 48, and can stay supersonic out to 1,600 yds; not to mention high BC bullets and cost to reload.

I wish you well in your search.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you, I am certain (at least right now) a 6.5x55 will be my next rifle.

A good friend of mine had Steve Baldwin at Mechanical Accuracy build him a 6.5x55 on a Remington long action. His rifle shoots very good. Just remember most published reloading data is for WWII era rifles. You can push them a lot harder in modern rifles (2,800-2,900fps with 130-140gr bullets).

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A good friend of mine had Steve Baldwin at Mechanical Accuracy build him a 6.5x55 on a Remington long action. His rifle shoots very good. Just remember most published reloading data is for WWII era rifles. You can push them a lot harder in modern rifles (2,800-2,900fps with 130-140gr bullets).

Could you speculate on an approximate cost?
A 30-06 action be re chambered for 6.5x55 right? I suspect that I would need a new barrel.

A basic Remington 700 (let's say ~$400used) would be several $100 cheaper than a Tikka (~$750new, its hard to find a used tikka in 6.5x55), the saved cost could go towards re chambering and a new barrel.

A new barrel would be in the ball park at $250-$400.
Plus Machinist cost.

please share more wisdom :bowdown:

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The action isn't rechambered. Buy a rifle, remove whatever barrel comes with it, order a new barrel chambered in 6.5 x 55, and install that on your action. You could get some of your money back by selling the original barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom