1st bolt action

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went to lexington yesterday. I brought with me 100 rounds, 50 loaded with 5 different charges of Varget and 50 with 4 charges of 4350, all with new Lapua brass and 130 grain berger match bullets. I think the gun is more accurate than I am. Ive got lots of practicing to do. Here are two of my best groups (5 shots) at 100 yards. I was using a bipod for stability and a 5-20 HD SWFA scope. My wife chipped in with me to make that happen.
I am super happy with the results and look forward to reaching out a little further.

View attachment 51541
View attachment 51542

Thank you all again for helping me get my 1st bolt action. The 65 Swede is an excellent choice!!

Great shooting, BUT you need more powder. I am loading those charges in a little ole 6.5x47 with 140s and am FAR from pressures. With the 130 Hybrids I am seeing pressures at 37.9 Varget so I am positive you can run upwards of 39 grains of Varget with 130s. Of course work up to it, but you should be ok at 39 if not slightly higher.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great shooting, BUT you need more powder. I am loading those charges in a little ole 6.5x47 with 140s and am FAR from pressures. With the 130 Hybrids I am seeing pressures at 37.9 Varget so I am positive you can run upwards of 39 grains of Varget with 130s. Of course work up to it, but you should be ok at 39 if not slightly higher.

Saw your post in another thread that looking for prominent ejector imprints on brass is an indicator of nearing excessive (max?) pressure. Got other tells, that reveal near peak pressures, I should I looking for while working up loads? I've heard of flattened primers, but I have to admit I am not confident I would spot a flattened primer consistently.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Flattened primers are a very poor indicator of over pressure. I get flattened primers when using federal primers at near start loads in my .308.
The ejector marks are good indicators..Stiff bolt lift is a positive sign that your getting too much pressure.
That is the one I trust..
I have loaded both my .308 and .30-06 to the point of stiff bolt lift it only took .5 gr more powder to get there and no ejector marks and the primers looked just like the mid range book loads.

But all guns act different that is why we look for as many signs as we can.

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First signs to show are usually a slight ejector mark. After that comes gouges / swipes from the extractor claws followed by stiff bolt lift or a locked up action. Once I see slight ejector marks I am done.

reddoubleddbra

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have shot a remington 700 in 270, a winchester 70 in 270, and a savage in 270. All nice guns however I bought a Ruger m77 in 270, the 270 was becasue thate caliber was on sale otherwise I would have purchased a .308 however you cant go wrong witha 30-06

Latest posts

Top Bottom