1st bolt action

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do believe this is the case, I believe the year was 1994.
You are correct. My memory is a little hazy, but I should have known it was around 1994 since I bought a surplus M38 Swedish Mauser for $110 just about then. I remember reading about that year's Classic and just wishing (A) I could afford the Remington or (B) I could make my surplus Swede into a fine sporter that would rival the Remington. Neither one of those things happened...though I did see a NIB 6.5 x55mm Classic at a gun show a few years later. I still couldn't afford it. Good luck on getting the rifle!

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got to trade that lever action for the unfired 700 in 65x55.
here is what I am thinking will happen next.
1. Scope (are HD worth the extra $?)
first choice is: SWFA SS HD 10x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
second choice is: SWFA SS HD 3-9x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
third: SWFA SS 20x42 Tactical Riflescope
2. Mounting kit. Not sure really, but i am leaning toward a 20MOA 1 piece mounting kit
3. Lapua brass and whatever 140 grain bullets I can find.
4. Synthetic stock... Are the pricey ones worth it? any suggestions? I like to stick with something that is similar (design wise) to original wood stock.

Thoughts?

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad to hear you got the rifle. Were it mine, I'd leave the wood stock on it (the 700 Classic stock was one of the nicest ever put on a Remington), and use Weaver two-piece bases and rings with a 3-9x40 Leupold VX-II. But then I'm not just old school, I am old. Best of luck with your new rifle!

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went to lexington yesterday. I brought with me 100 rounds, 50 loaded with 5 different charges of Varget and 50 with 4 charges of 4350, all with new Lapua brass and 130 grain berger match bullets. I think the gun is more accurate than I am. Ive got lots of practicing to do. Here are two of my best groups (5 shots) at 100 yards. I was using a bipod for stability and a 5-20 HD SWFA scope. My wife chipped in with me to make that happen.
I am super happy with the results and look forward to reaching out a little further.

photo 26.jpg
photo 27.jpg

Thank you all again for helping me get my 1st bolt action. The 65 Swede is an excellent choice!!

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buy my Ruger77 in 7mmRemMag. It has 2 Merco recoil reducers in the buttstock and a muzzle brake.

My sons 7x57 kicked harder. Long range performance is outstanding. I have taken a dozen deer, all one shot kills, between 350 and 400 yrds.

140gr BarnesX bullets, zeroed at 250, point blank shooting from 0 - 400 yrds.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buy my Ruger77 in 7mmRemMag. It has 2 Merco recoil reducers in the buttstock and a muzzle brake.

My sons 7x57 kicked harder. Long range performance is outstanding. I have taken a dozen deer, all one shot kills, between 350 and 400 yrds.

140gr BarnesX bullets, zeroed at 250, point blank shooting from 0 - 400 yrds.

Thanks but I think i'll shoot the s&$it out of the one I just bought.

Latest posts

Top Bottom