1st bolt action

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The action isn't rechambered. Buy a rifle, remove whatever barrel comes with it, order a new barrel chambered in 6.5 x 55, and install that on your action. You could get some of your money back by selling the original barrel.

Right! I didn't mean the action. I thought the chamber was attached to the action and the barrel was separate. Now i think the chamber is in the barrel! Is it always in the barrel?

any modern action will do fine at high pressures, right?
A major difference is then the smoothness of the action.
What else makes one action better than another?

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On modern bolt guns, yes, the chamber is always part of the barrel. Any modern action, to include any Mauser action made after 1896, will safely handle the pressure of the 6.5 x 55 cartridge, which is a relatively mild cartridge as those things go. What makes one action better than the others? Availability of aftermarket parts and accessories, for one thing; ease of assembling/disassembling component parts (such as barrels) for another.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only time the stock needs altered is if you decide to use a larger diameter barrel than the one the stock is inlet for.
Exactly. If you choose your barrel carefully, it should drop back into your stock with little or no fitting required. If you decide to replace a sporter contour barrel with, say, a bull barrel, then, yes, you may have to alter the inletting. And, yes, this is generally easier to do with a wood stock than a synthetic stock. Another option to look for--there were a number of Remington 700's built in 6.5 x 55mm, Winchester chambered it in the Model 70, and Ruger in the M77. Scour the Internet and you may find a factory built gun in 6.5 x 55 with not a lot of rounds down the barrel. You may be able to save yourself both time and money by looking for a good used rifle.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could you speculate on an approximate cost?
A 30-06 action be re chambered for 6.5x55 right? I suspect that I would need a new barrel.

A basic Remington 700 (let's say ~$400used) would be several $100 cheaper than a Tikka (~$750new, its hard to find a used tikka in 6.5x55), the saved cost could go towards re chambering and a new barrel.

A new barrel would be in the ball park at $250-$400.
Plus Machinist cost.

please share more wisdom :bowdown:

Yes a 30-06 "long action" will work for a 6.5 x 55.

If you bought a used Remington 30-06 for $450 you would also need a new barrel (Bartlein, Krieger, Benchmark, Shilen, Hart, etc.) these run anywhere from $325 - $400. Your gun plummer would square the action, re-cut the action threads and probably suggest a precision ground recoil lug. He would also lap and square the bolt lugs. He would take your barrel and cut the tenon, thread it, and chamber it. If you desire he will thread the muzzle with thread protector.

(These things are not necessary but many have it done): side bolt release, bolt knob, bottom metal for detachable magazine, 8-40 scope base thread upgrade, barrel fluting, M16 or Sako extractor, trigger job or a new Jewel or Timney trigger.

After he's finished he will finish the metal using either duracoat or cerakote.

You will probably need a new stock due to a larger barrel profile (I would suggest something like a No. 3 or 4 barrel contour if its manly going to be used as a hunting rifle). A stock of your choice; Bell & Carlson, H-S Precision, Manners, McMillan, etc (prices vary greatly). Next your smith would bed the action to the stock using something like Marine-Tex bedding compound and pillars.

I don't know Steve's prices but these are the prices Tim Roberts (Moon) at Crescent Customs gets. I used his prices because he's one heck of nice guy and an excellent gun smith. You would need to call Steve to get his prices.

Remington 700 Bolt Knob: $95.00
Barrel Fluting: $155.00
Ceratoke All Metal: $270.00
Blueprint Factory Receiver: $160.00
Barrel Install: $275.00
Thread Muzzle: $125.00
Thread Muzzle with Thread Protector: $160.00
Pillar Bed Stock: $290.00
8-40 Base Screw Upgrade: $65.00

All this "custom work" will put you well above your $1000 budget but once you go custom you'll never go back to box stock.

Last edited:

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To the OP, I'd look for a used Winchester, Ruger, or Remington bolt gun in 6.5 x 55mm, and spend the balance of your $1000 on ammo and practice.

I agree, or he could buy a Savage 11/111 or 10/110 Predator Max I in .260 or 6.5 creed. Each of these chamberings are close enough to the 6.5 x 55 ballistics. They shoot great and later on he can buy pre fit after market barrels if he wants and do all the work himself.

Yet there's always that ugly rifle where you get a lot of bang for your buck. ��

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, the .260 Rem is a fine caliber, very close to the 6.5 Swede in ballistics. The 6.5 Creedmore I know very little about, but then I already have a 6.5 x 55mm Swede that I am very happy with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom