1st bolt action

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If only I knew for sure...
Typical long range target shots at 500yrds but I'd like to go beyond... on rare occasions try 1000yrds

AS far as i know, 30-06 can reach out that far for target purposes. It drops a lot, not more than a 308 though.

But for hunting deer 3-400yrds? not sure...

30-06 was the king of the 1000 yd matches at Camp Perry national matches until the 70's or so.
I shoot 300 yds at our range with a 100 yd zero all the time. Chip shot actually.
Killed an elk at 400 in her tracks a couple of years ago.
With the new Berger and Barnes bullets, range is only left for the shooter to accomplish. The bullet/caliber will handle it easily.

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the 6.5x55 is VERY interesting. I like what I'm reading..alot!

What do y'all shoot it with?

Anyone tried a CZ 550 FS? Barrel is only 20.5 inches, is that too limiting?

I have wanted the CZ 550 for quite some time, but have grown to live without it. I had a CZ 527 in .223 that shoot pretty well, not as well as my .223 I currently own. If you want a factory 6.5 Swede offering I would look into the Tikka T3 Lite. The swede has been around for a very long time and has taken plenty of game. With todays bullet options you could very well push the 140 berger hybrids with exceptional speed for hunting and target shooting. The Tikka action is also a great building block if you were to travel down that road.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

My 6.5 Swede is built on a M-96 Carl Gustav Mauser action (dated 1913), with a Shilen 1 in 9 twist barrel, and a Timney trigger, all in a Choate synthetic stock with a blind magazine. It is quite accurate, and quite soft shooting. Definitely one of my favorite rifles.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
65x55 has a very good ballistic co efficient, better than the 06 and will not wear out your shoulder at the range as will the 06. I own 4 military swedes and 3 sporters and they all shoot better than I can most of the time. Recoil is a big deal if you want to shoot an afternoon at the range. As for taking game the 6.5 will take down any of the game animals in North America again because of the BC of the round.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ye old 30-30. gets to be known as the 100 yard brush gun.
I did not underestimate my 30-30 after talking with old timers.

I found I could stretch her legs to 300 yards and then some to kill our Oklahoma whitetails with 1 well placed shot.
I load for my friends 30-30 model 94, his likes federal brass 35.5 gr varget with 150gr flat nose.
he has out shot his dad a couple times on paper at 200 yards.. His dad has a 30-06.
Both guns average around 2-2.5" at 200 yards.. matters who is having the better day.

My 30-30 was getting a scoop of 3031 and the 150gr bullet and leaving the barrel at 2200fps area and it has taken many deer one out towards 300 yards.
Double lung and they do not go but maybe 40 paces.
If you get good at shooting and have a scope and the gun is 1/2 way accurate you can have a ball making empty cases to reload.

My 30-30 had an old redfield widefield fixed 4 power scope on it. It has a 3-9 on it now

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have wanted the CZ 550 for quite some time, but have grown to live without it. I had a CZ 527 in .223 that shoot pretty well, not as well as my .223 I currently own. If you want a factory 6.5 Swede offering I would look into the Tikka T3 Lite. The swede has been around for a very long time and has taken plenty of game. With todays bullet options you could very well push the 140 berger hybrids with exceptional speed for hunting and target shooting. The Tikka action is also a great building block if you were to travel down that road.

So, that road would lead me to replace the tikka barrel with a 6.5mm Douglass barrel (or Krieger etc etc)?

My 6.5 Swede is built on a M-96 Carl Gustav Mauser action (dated 1913), with a Shilen 1 in 9 twist barrel, and a Timney trigger, all in a Choate synthetic stock with a blind magazine. It is quite accurate, and quite soft shooting. Definitely one of my favorite rifles.

You went down that road and ended up with a Shilen barrel!

This could be trouble

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright guys, I've been peeing my pants all day looking at different 6.5x55 platforms.

One we haven't mentioned (i think) are the mauser 98's

Is the Zastava Arms M808 a replica of a swedish M98? Sorry if thats a dumb question.
think the M808 would be a good action to build from in case i wanted to go down that road

are their actions any good?

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO you would be better served with a Tikka action to later build off of. Unless you just like the old Mauser actions, but the Tikka actions are very well made. Also you don't have to replace the barrel, I was just saying if you shoot like I do it will be inevitable.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score

Anyone tried a CZ 550 FS? Barrel is only 20.5 inches, is that too limiting?

you will love the quality and accuracy of the cz's. i have a few but not in 6.5x55 but always have my eye open for one. i also like the ruger m77 international 6.5

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO you would be better served with a Tikka action to later build off of. Unless you just like the old Mauser actions, but the Tikka actions are very well made. Also you don't have to replace the barrel, I was just saying if you shoot like I do it will be inevitable.

Your opinion is exactly what I am looking for.
I will do exactly as you said, shoot out the original and then customize.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Top Bottom