2012 Sheds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
r00s7a you have been a shed finding fool. You should come up and find some on my place. I have looked a couple hours about 3 times now, but I haven't found any besides a small 6 point skull.

Mr Shooter that is pretty funny.

J

jamekin

I've got access to a property in Western Oklahoma and can't seem to find a single shed. My cousin and I walk the crap out of it turkey and coyote hunting and still nothing. We've tried walking the fence lines, but apparently the deer don't like to shed near fences... any pointers? I know there are big deer since I see em during season. If the ones I'm seeing are that big, I know there are deer twice as nice out there.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I have friends that hunt around Alva, Waynoka and Mooreland and they find very few if any sheds during the spring. Not sure for the reason, I do know that the ones that they do find are large and they usually find them in Jan and Feb when running their traps and predator hunting. They have stumbled across two that were large that look like they've been there for years, so I don't think the rodents eat them that fast out there either. Seems consistant with bassin and jamekin though.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know that there is a specific place to find sheds. I look at creek crossings, and fences in my area, and find some. At the same time, they are found in open pastures by others. They won't be found next to fences, but 30-50 yards away. they don't just pop off
Who knows?
We currently try to find a deer trail through the woods, and follow it. Most if not all of the time its on atv's. One has to cover lots of ground. My eyes aren't as sharp as in the past, but my buddy is in his thirty's, and he can spot them from a ways off.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
r00s7a you have been a shed finding fool. You should come up and find some on my place. I have looked a couple hours about 3 times now, but I haven't found any besides a small 6 point skull.

Mr Shooter that is pretty funny.

I agree with both of those compliments! I have not spent any time at all doing this. Maybe I should.

hunterman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another awesome evening shed huntin yesterday. Found 7 in all, which was good in iteself...
questmhsa.com_r00s7a_2_23_12_1.jpg

But the best part was finding this monster shed!
questmhsa.com_r00s7a_2_23_12_2.jpg

And even better than that, I had already found the matching side a couple of months ago not more than 50 yards from where I found this one. So now I have a matching set, and pondering what to do with them.
questmhsa.com_r00s7a_2_23_12_5.jpg

questmhsa.com_r00s7a_2_23_12_4.jpg
Man that shed is awesome I bet he is a old brute!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Think my lab is ready for a trial shed hunt. Spent 20 minutes teaching him the difference between a shed and a retrieving dummy monday evening, just called it a "bone". Had him retieve the sheds I would throw out over and over. Took the lab inside, had the kids go hide the three sheds I found last week. I placed two retieving dummies out in the open so he would be able to see them while he was looking for the sheds. I use the "dead" command so that he knows he should be looking for a bird, and use the "bone" command when he should be looking for the sheds. As we walked along I would say "bone" and he skipped right over the dummies until he would sniff out a shed. Will give it a try this Sunday hopefully. Dogs noses are amazing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom