2013-2014 Waterfowl Season

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This season just keeps getting stranger. Killed quite the mixed bag today: Pair of bootlips, a green winger and a snow goose. No idea what's going on in this part of the state. I've got buddies that are hammering the birds out West, but I can't buy a limit since early teal season.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
This season just keeps getting stranger. Killed quite the mixed bag today: Pair of bootlips, a green winger and a snow goose. No idea what's going on in this part of the state. I've got buddies that are hammering the birds out West, but I can't buy a limit since early teal season.

Hammering geese or ducks out west? There's a ton of geese here right now. Starting to see some snows.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh specks; my unicorn.

It's one of those things that makes you shake your head. I've killed the majority of species of birds that migrate through the central flyway including some of the rarer birds; ruddy ducks, bufflehead etc, but for some reason I can't kill a speck! Now, in my defense I don't hunt the areas that hold a lot of them more than a handful of times a year, but when I do I swear they laugh at me. I either watch them lock up and slide off the edge of the spread just out of range, or land in my face when they are out of season. A couple of years ago on the last day of goose season, when light goose was closed, I landed a group about 20 strong right in the middle of the spread. Go figure! I've never even pulled the trigger on one!

Their song literally haunts me in my sleep! When I hear that damn cackle late at night from high flying migrators, it puts me on the edge of insanity.

So, if any of you guys out West want to help a sick man get better; have gun will travel......

Damn, now I'm going to have dreams about specks tonight!

Finally got it done today! Killed a nice whitefront that is headed to my taxidermist.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Nice Porter, congrats! The unicorn has been slain!

A similar unicorn, a guy that my wife works with took his first banded bird last weekend. It was a redhead drake. The bird was sold old, the band is worn smooth, and basically unreadable! The banding dept is working with him trying to figure it out.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have yet to get a banded bird. It's very cool tracking birds via bands. I did some bird banding when I was younger off the Georgia coast. Hawks get very angry being caught in nets.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice Porter, congrats! The unicorn has been slain!

A similar unicorn, a guy that my wife works with took his first banded bird last weekend. It was a redhead drake. The bird was sold old, the band is worn smooth, and basically unreadable! The banding dept is working with him trying to figure it out.

Yes sir! The unicorn is down! Don't get me started on bands though. I know I've shared my history with those on here before. I did see a Canada with a bright pink neck collar a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately it would have taken a loaf of bread to get close to him.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom