2015 Legislative Firearm bills

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thursday, February 19, the House Public Safety Committee is scheduled to hear the following bills:
HB1391, HB1346, HB1460, HB1730, HB1911, HB1936

The Senate Public Safety Committee is scheduled to hear SB525 as well.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I don't like HB1936 as written due to the section where a resident of Oklahoma who applies for and receives a license from another state can be fined $1000. As long as that stays in, I discourage the passage of this bill.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't like HB1936 as written due to the section where a resident of Oklahoma who applies for and receives a license from another state can be fined $1000. As long as that stays in, I discourage the passage of this bill.

HB1936 is truly ridiculous. Not all states recognize Oklahoma licenses, and there is no logical reason why Oklahomans should not buy additional licenses from other states where they want to travel.
This bill must be stopped.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
HB1936 is truly ridiculous. Not all states recognize Oklahoma licenses, and there is no logical reason why Oklahomans should not buy additional licenses from other states where they want to travel.
This bill must be stopped.

The rest of the bill reduces the fees for license applicants and renewals. If the offending part, at the very end, is struck out, then I might be able to support it.

The remaining question on the reliance on the NICS check is whether that will help reciprocity in other states or hurt it. If it hurts it, then trash the whole thing. If it helps, then that's an additional bonus.

ETA:

Am currently writing state Reps & Sen. Here is what I am saying on this bill:

**************Sen. xyz,

While this bill is currently in the House, I wanted to express my thoughts concerning it to you should it make it to the Senate.

This bill, as written, has some sections that concern me, and sections that I believe should be carefully researched before passage.

The bill reduces licensing fees for handgun carry permit applicants and renewals. I support this completely.

It also changes the background check from the current method to a NICS check. My thought here is that if this hurts the Oklahoma carry permit in the way of reciprocity in other states, then this should be reconsidered. I believe we should work toward a permit that is recognized by more other states rather than fewer.

Finally, the bill punishes OK citizens who pursue and receive a permit from another state with a $1000 fine. As the OK permit is not recognized universally, OK citizens may desire to get licensed in other states for travel, in addition to the OK permit. This should not be punished. If this final part of the bill is not removed I cannot support it.

Thank you for your service!
"NikatKimber"
Rep xyz,

This bill, as written, has some sections that concern me, and sections that I believe should be carefully researched before passage.

The bill reduces licensing fees for handgun carry permit applicants and renewals. I support this completely.

It also changes the background check from the current method to a NICS check. My thought here is that if this hurts the Oklahoma carry permit in the way of reciprocity in other states, then this should be reconsidered. I believe we should work toward a permit that is recognized by more other states rather than fewer.

Finally, the bill punishes OK citizens who pursue and receive a permit from another state with a $1000 fine. As the OK permit is not recognized universally, OK citizens may desire to get licensed in other states for travel, in addition to the OK permit. This should not be punished. If this final part of the bill is not removed I cannot support it.

Thank you for your service!
"NikatKimber"

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom