2015 Legislative Firearm bills

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMO, the primary stinker in HB1936 is the elimination of the fingerprint requirement. As has been previously pointed out, this is something many other states have as a requirement for reciprocity to accept the OK license. IMO, our reciprocity list needs to expand, not contract. The other provisions are worthy of debate, especially the cost and hassle factors that would be eliminated. OK2A has a point about the agency lobbying about the bill. They have a responsibility to provide info to the legislators on budget and personnel effects of proposed legislation but I think actively working against it is a problem.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO, the primary stinker in HB1936 is the elimination of the fingerprint requirement. As has been previously pointed out, this is something many other states have as a requirement for reciprocity to accept the OK license. IMO, our reciprocity list needs to expand, not contract. The other provisions are worthy of debate, especially the cost and hassle factors that would be eliminated. OK2A has a point about the agency lobbying about the bill. They have a responsibility to provide info to the legislators on budget and personnel effects of proposed legislation but I think actively working against it is a problem.

One of the cost factors in the finger print requirement. To run a NICS check will cost less than $2.00. Per OSBI, the cost to run the AFIS finger print check is $41.00.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the cost factors in the finger print requirement. To run a NICS check will cost less than $2.00. Per OSBI, the cost to run the AFIS finger print check is $41.00.

Assuming the legislators are being told that fact by OSBI, the lawmakers also need that other part of the puzzle as regards reciprocity. This changes the discussion from one about costs/control/licensing to one about providing value to those holding the license. IMO, that's where you can balance the discussion because some licensees value reciprocity, others prefer lower costs, and still others want to reduce the hassle factor of going to the sheriff's office. OK2A isn't understanding that the effect of the proposed law is greater than its parts and has an unintended consequences Easter egg in there. Fix it now instead of later when the reciprocity list is whittled down to being meaningless.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Assuming the legislators are being told that fact by OSBI, the lawmakers also need that other part of the puzzle as regards reciprocity. This changes the discussion from one about costs/control/licensing to one about providing value to those holding the license. IMO, that's where you can balance the discussion because some licensees value reciprocity, others prefer lower costs, and still others want to reduce the hassle factor of going to the sheriff's office. OK2A isn't understanding that the effect of the proposed law is greater than its parts and has an unintended consequences Easter egg in there. Fix it now instead of later when the reciprocity list is whittled down to being meaningless.

The issue is whether or not we should be subjected to having our fingerprints entered into a national criminal database. Nevada doesn't accept Oklahoma's permit because of the training requirement.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The issue is whether or not we should be subjected to having our fingerprints entered into a national criminal database. Nevada doesn't accept Oklahoma's permit because of the training requirement.

There's also the accessibility to the SDA database to run checks on licenses. It's not just training.

If you don't want to be in a database with your fingerprints, I get that and we both know that real, national Constitutional carry is the only solution. Since that appears to be well out of the likelihood of becoming reality, I'm saying let's not mess with something that's working right now.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I spent a little time last night researching reciprocity agreements, I wasn't able to find one that required fingerprinting as part of the agreement. If anyone can provide and example, I would be interested in seeing it. A criminal background check of the person applying for the permit appeared to be the most explicit requirement given by one state before granting reciprocity. Texas makes an exception and grants reciprocity to states that have concealed carry licenses that are less rigorous than Texas's licensing requirements.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spent a little time last night researching reciprocity agreements, I wasn't able to find one that required fingerprinting as part of the agreement. If anyone can provide and example, I would be interested in seeing it. A criminal background check of the person applying for the permit appeared to be the most explicit requirement given by one state before granting reciprocity. Texas makes an exception and grants reciprocity to states that have concealed carry licenses that are less rigorous than Texas's licensing requirements.

Here is Nebraska:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/nebraska.pdf

Nebraska has reciprocity if the issuing states permit meets or exceeds the Nebraska procedure. Nebraska requires fingerprints run through AFIS.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is Nebraska:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/nebraska.pdf

Nebraska has reciprocity if the issuing states permit meets or exceeds the Nebraska procedure. Nebraska requires fingerprints run through AFIS.

Nebraska has reciprocity with fewer states than Oklahoma and they require a vision test. I don't see why the potential for one less state granting reciprocity should prevent us from making it less of a hassle to obtain a handgun permit to carry in Oklahoma.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nebraska has reciprocity with fewer states than Oklahoma and they require a vision test. I don't see why the potential for one less state granting reciprocity should prevent us from making it less of a hassle to obtain a handgun permit to carry in Oklahoma.

I'm not don't care one way or the other about NE since I don't go there, I was just providing an example as requested.

However you did mention that a criminal background check seemed to be the most prevalent thing before granting reciprocity. I don't know how many of those would consider NICS a criminal background check.

Latest posts

Top Bottom