38 Spec +P

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madpap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ya... but every bullet has a lawyer attached to it
heaven forbid you have to shoot someone....there will be questions!

handloads automatically raise issues easily avoided by using stock ammo. what little you gain by reloading SD rounds IMHO is simply not worth it.
There will be questions no matter what bullet you use. I would rather take my chances with something I know will work. They can check whatever ammo I have and they will see that I don't have anything deadly in them but bullets and powder. Maybe some nukes for primers. :uberblast

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I too prefer quality, factory ammo for self-defense. I've never had a problem with Gold Dots, Golden Sabers or Hornady self-defense loads. I don't know anyone who's had problems with them either. They are much higher quality than the mass produced target ammo.

I don't know if using handloads would actually result in legal problems, but with so many good factory choices, why risk it?

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hornady Critical Defense, and Pow R Ball all work on the same concept. They are loaded with a synthetic insert inside the "hollow" of the bullet. The concept is the best of both worlds, the non clogging of a solid bullet, with the expansion of a hollow point.

I have a question about the Pow R Ball type ammo. Does the ball and HP separate before or on impact? And, if so, wouldn't that divide the energy at impact? (No ballistics expertise, just curious.)

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not tootin their horn or anything but I found most of whats been listed plus some at Dongs when I was looking for my .38 +P ammo.

I too visited Dongs recently and spent some money there. (But that's a topic for another thread.) They did have a large selection of ammo. BUT, for example, the Gold Dot 135 gr short barrel was priced as high for a box of 20 as can be paid for a box of 50 online.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ya... but every bullet has a lawyer attached to it
heaven forbid you have to shoot someone....there will be questions!

handloads automatically raise issues easily avoided by using stock ammo. what little you gain by reloading SD rounds IMHO is simply not worth it.

There was a time this was correct. But that battle's been fought already.
Any lawyer worth his salt will find case record to fight that arguement.
The whole idea of a weapon for self defense it to stop a threat.
Doesn't really matter what make up it is.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i've heard good things about the buffalo bore 38spl +p loads, guys on the blue forum say its very similar to the old 38/44 load

I've shot some of it, and its a eye opener for those who have never fired a true +P load!!!

I'd pay good money to know what those guys use for powder. How they get the velocities they do is pretty impressive. Maybe they just have a good liability policy....

To the O/P: I chronographed a cylinder full of the Speer Gold Dot 135 grain Short Barrel loads and the averaged right on 850 FPS out of my 442 snubbie. Just about exactly what Speer says they do. :thumb:

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To the O/P: I chronographed a cylinder full of the Speer Gold Dot 135 grain Short Barrel loads and the averaged right on 850 FPS out of my 442 snubbie. Just about exactly what Speer says they do. :thumb:

Thanks, I actually ordered some last week, I am going to compare them and the Critical Defense. I may have to shoot a phone book to look at the expansion. I am real curious about the CD, I have not shot one designed like it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom