80% 10/22 reciever

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Savage308

I was recently having a serious itch for a new rifle build, and with ammo prices constantly rising I was thinking of a new .22lr. I took my wife shooting which led to her wanting a .22. I gave her my already built rifle instead of building another, as this let me build a new one for myself. I did a lot of homework and decided to buy an 80% finished reciever and "build my own". The thought of stamping my own mark and serial # on a rife really got me going! the only catch is you have to do all of the work youself. The one i purchased requires the two cross pins for the trigger group and the bolt stop to be drilled, the v-block and stock takedown holes drilled and tapped, and the barrel hole drilled. Everything went all easy peasy until I realized what comes into play when one makes a hole in a reciever for a barrel to fit into! This Definately requires more precision equipment than I currently own. A couple of friends and I are in the process of starting a gunsmith/machine business but we don't have a mill or a lathe yet. I really hope I can find a mill to use for the barrel hole so I don't have to wait for our machines to show up because it's going to be a couple of months before this happens as they are on backorder! I'll post pics of the build as soon as I can remember to bring the camera in from the truck.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just wait till you get to rifle out the barrel, that takes some time and elbo grease.

Have fun with the reciever, you can set up a fixture to hold your drill in line with the reciever if all else fails.

by the way, you don't have to fix your name and serial # on it unless you are making it under an FFL license or making it an NFA item.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There used to be this fellow that ran a shop called the tannery shop that sold 10/22 80%s. He doesnt do it any more but the were quiet a bit cheeper. I know a sight that I can get a hole 10/22 riflr for like 170. 121ish for a blank realy too high. I still want one but not for that price.

S

Savage308

Sorry, I haven't had time to be online in a few days. I bought the one from select fire with the jig. Both the receiver and the jig are very well made. The one thing I was definitely not impressed with was the muzzle crown on the barrel I bought, but that's an easy enough fix.

Latest posts

Top Bottom