9mm AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been thinking about removing my plastic deflector and putting on this regular door I have laying around. Plastic is for losers. Just too lazy to do it. I am a loser.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are three different 9mm AR mags. The first is a RRA 25 rounder from Brownells, which clearly started life as an Uzi mag. The catch slot is .270". The one in the middle is an IMI Uzi one, with a slot width of .250" and a .625"x 1.5" .029" strip of sheet metal welded to it. The last is a Metalform magazine, with a slot width of .280".

img.photobucket.com_albums_v235_TheGunsOfElGuapo_Photo02211322.jpg

The RRA magazine is a wobbler, but not as noticeable when it's loaded and in the rifle. The bolt prevents it from wobbling too much, however, the bolt shouldn't do that! There is a thin lip under the bullet guide that acts as a positive stop to prevent the mag from moving up any further. The distance between the front upper edge of the magazine, and the upper edge of the magazine catch slot is critical. The lower edge of the mag catch slot is not that important, if the lip on the mag block is doing it's job.

img.photobucket.com_albums_v235_TheGunsOfElGuapo_RRA4.jpg

The magazine actually wobbles enough to get past the lip. You can see the amount of play in these next two pictures.

img.photobucket.com_albums_v235_TheGunsOfElGuapo_RRA5.jpg

img.photobucket.com_albums_v235_TheGunsOfElGuapo_RRA3.jpg

By adding .030"-ish to the back of the magazine (light green box), play is almost eliminated, and the mag is pushed forward, ensuring a solid contact under the lip. There is still enough play for a tiny wiggle, and the magazine to drop freely from the mag well when released. The orange shows the areas where material was removed.

img.photobucket.com_albums_v235_TheGunsOfElGuapo_RRA6.jpg

I'm pretty happy with it! It wiggles less than my $42 Metalforms. Although he hasn't shot the rifle since I did this, I bet my 9 year old could even hang on to the mag, and never have problems.