Alcohol tax at restaurant rant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like it's right up there with "tipping" a fake 20 that invites the server to church, or a cheap tip with a "I give God 10%, why should you get 15%" note.
When I was a waiter these people literally made me hate god.

Fake $20 after serving a demanding 10 top during post church rush.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m too lazy to calculate pre-tax/post-tax. I take a Quick Look at the total and if the service was good, an easy 20%, if not 10%. I’m not hung up on if the server makes minimum wage or higher. I appreciate good service, and calculating 20% is easy when you get to my age.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The worst part is they already heavily tax the production of alcohol. Go to any whiskey distiller and they will explain to you how they could sell a bottle of what they make for $10 and turn a tidy profit if it wasn’t for the other $15 they have to pay in tax on the barrel before it is even sold.
Then travel state to state and see how much state governments tax it as well.
What cost me $22 plus tax in Ponca can be bought for $13.99 in Missouri, and Florida. In Alabama the same bottle cost $34.
State taxes vary widely.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dunno...having worked in restaurants for quite a while, I kind of feel like if it was a widespread thing I'd have probably heard about it. Granted, I've been out of the food service game for a while, but I don't feel like there's been a revolution in the "paying for the bill" part of the industry in a good long time.
It's common. No conservative wants to tip the government. I can see why you would disagree.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just going to quick math here, but lets say I spend $50 at a restaurant and tax is 10%. That gives a total of $55 and I'll assume a tip percentage of 15%.

$50 * 1.15 = $57.50 + $5 (Still owe 10% tax) = $62.50
$55 * 1.15 = $63.25

For a difference of $0.75. Now maybe I'm a statistical outlier, but that $1 is never going to be missed in my life. But to the server that could make a difference in theirs. It's not like the $1 is going to the government, the restaurant owner or anything like that (unless there's some other shady crap going on) but to the person making 2.13/hr to deal with people all day long.

Now, there certainly could be special situations where using the subtotal is a valid thing. Like if I roll into a Chili's with a buy one get one free coupon or something, that cuts my bill in half, then I'm definitely not tipping on the final price....again, that's just rude to the server if they're delivering quality service for $40 worth of food even if I'm only paying $20.

Edit as I forgot to put the tax back in the total of line 1 when I was mathing quickly which dropped the difference between tipping with total versus tipping on subtotal to a sub $1 difference.
We pretty much do the same. If we have a coupon, or get a discount for whatever reason, we tip at what the total price would be, not the discounted price....minus the tax.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dunno...having worked in restaurants for quite a while, I kind of feel like if it was a widespread thing I'd have probably heard about it. Granted, I've been out of the food service game for a while, but I don't feel like there's been a revolution in the "paying for the bill" part of the industry in a good long time.
I dont tip based on the cost of my meal, I tip based on the service. I had a $45 tab yesturday and the service was great so I left a $20. And I never tip on my CC, I use cash so they dont pay taxes on it unless they decide to report it.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dont tip based on the cost of my meal, I tip based on the service. I had a $45 tab yesturday and the service was great so I left a $20. And I never tip on my CC, I use cash so they dont pay taxes on it unless they decide to report it.
Same for me. Bad service is change or a buck to 10% depending. Good service is 25-50%.

On a related note. Those that have listened to Sean Hannity know that he claims to tip 100%. Several years ago the son of a close friend was waiting at Mickey Mantel's steak house and waited on Hannity with his family and others. The bill was $1500 and the tip was $1500. Good day for a young guy getting started.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's not tipping TO the government. The tax is the same no matter what. Tipping based on the total check is giving more to the server inclusive of the gubermint taxes. Roughly 15% of 10% or $1.50 per $100 spent.
lol, you’re explanation of tipping the government tax is ridiculous.
Tipping is for the service rendered, not the liquor and sales tax.
That is on the restaurant.

Latest posts

Top Bottom