Alcohol tax at restaurant rant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
lol, you’re explanation of tipping the government tax is ridiculous.
Tipping is for the service rendered, not the liquor and sales tax.
That is on the restaurant.
If it's strictly for the service than I suppose the entire convention is ridiculous --- I mean why even consider the total in the least if it's about the service rather than the price of the product? Oddly, restaurants could settle that themselves by paying a real wage instead of just passing the labor cost to the consumer in such a fashion.

I mean you do you and make your statement. I'll continue to love my neighbor as myself and toss the extra $$ to the server since last I checked I've never once had a server that wrote the tax code that established those taxes.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's common. No conservative wants to tip the government. I can see why you would disagree.
Okay then. Wife and I ate supper last night at one of my favorite establishments. I got the bill, dropped some cash on the table for the girl that served us.

I realize now I should have tipped less, so the government wouldn't get their hands on it. Thanks for letting me in on this, I hate feeding the government.

From now on I'll look at the bill, calculate exactly how much my bill was before tax, then base my tip based on that and that alone. This is the only logical thing to do.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oddly, restaurants could settle that themselves by paying a real wage instead of just passing the labor cost to the consumer in such a fashion.
But then they'd have to pay a wage, and that wage would be subject to competition and possibly lead to increased costs. Next thing you know, folks wouldn't be able to waddle in and overeat for cheap anymore. Kids these days just don't know how hard we worked back in the day, for pennies. And we were glad to get it.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But then they'd have to pay a wage, and that wage would be subject to competition and possibly lead to increased costs. Next thing you know, folks wouldn't be able to waddle in and overeat for cheap anymore. Kids these days just don't know how hard we worked back in the day, for pennies. And we were glad to get it.
1720783380484.png

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oddly, restaurants could settle that themselves by paying a real wage instead of just passing the labor cost to the consumer in such a fashion.
I saw this play out in Seattle, the result was servers and bartenders took a pay cut, prices went up and many established restaurants went out of business.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw this play out in Seattle, the result was servers and bartenders took a pay cut, prices went up and many established restaurants went out of business.
Did the prices go up if you compare total cost (former price+tip)?

If so, then the restaurant increased prices exceeding the pay rate of employees.

There's a total expenditure from the customer, how it's divided is what matters.

Dinner - 50 bucks + 10 dollar tip = 60 bucks. (Employee gets 2 bucks wage+ 10 bucks)

Dinner - 62 bucks - no tip. (employee makes 12 bucks per hour, this covers his wage - of course the employee will serve many more dinners than one per hour, so this price increase could cover way more than one hourly rate) *yes I know there are more associated costs with hourly pay, but multiple dinners during the hour more than compensate for this

Dinner - 65 bucks - no tip. (employee makes 12 bucks per hour - see above, but add 3 bucks to each dinner)

I know there's no way restaurants would use this opportunity to increase prices and blame it on employees....

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did the prices go up if you compare total cost (former price+tip)?

If so, then the restaurant increased prices exceeding the pay rate of employees.

There's a total expenditure from the customer, how it's divided is what matters.

Dinner - 50 bucks + 10 dollar tip = 60 bucks. (Employee gets 2 bucks wage+ 10 bucks)

Dinner - 62 bucks - no tip. (employee makes 12 bucks per hour, this covers his wage - of course the employee will serve many more dinners than one per hour, so this price increase could cover way more than one hourly rate) *yes I know there are more associated costs with hourly pay, but multiple dinners during the hour more than compensate for this

Dinner - 65 bucks - no tip. (employee makes 12 bucks per hour - see above, but add 3 bucks to each dinner)

I know there's no way restaurants would use this opportunity to increase prices and blame it on employees....
Many restaurants added a "service charge" In lieu of tipping

https://www.kiro7.com/news/tom-douglas-restaurants-start-20-percent-service-c/40031984/

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle...s-to-close-three-restaurants-in-downtown.html

Metropolitan grill breaks down hoe theirs works

https://www.themetropolitangrill.com/our-service-charge/

Like many regulations increased cost were absorbed by larger national chains while smaller local businesses went under. Also Manu places played above minimum wage with benefits ect, however when minimum wage increased this businesses were now paying minimum wage, it also hurt the purchasing power of many employees who were making above minimum wage. Also wages were structured differently than OK as there was no minimum tipped employee wage. But the result was kinda a lowering of the water for all the boats in the harbor.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see different approaches to settle this, but it really comes down to labor cost, raw material cost, facilities cost vs gross income. Every business has to calculate these and make it come out black or they fail.

Restaurants are not unique, and I really don't understand why they are treated as such.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Many restaurants added a "service charge" In lieu of tipping

https://www.kiro7.com/news/tom-douglas-restaurants-start-20-percent-service-c/40031984/

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle...s-to-close-three-restaurants-in-downtown.html

Metropolitan grill breaks down hoe theirs works

https://www.themetropolitangrill.com/our-service-charge/

Like many regulations increased cost were absorbed by larger national chains while smaller local businesses went under. Also Manu places played above minimum wage with benefits ect, however when minimum wage increased this businesses were now paying minimum wage, it also hurt the purchasing power of many employees who were making above minimum wage. Also wages were structured differently than OK as there was no minimum tipped employee wage. But the result was kinda a lowering of the water for all the boats in the harbor.
That policy from Metropolitan is really slimy imo. So, we'll just take the whole 20% ourselves and divvy it up as we see fit, is the short version. But, that's what they were doing before under the old tip model too - server didn't get the whole thing, it was divided amongst the team.

Last blurb there was cool too, Washington charges sales tax on the 20% service fee. Makes sense.

Latest posts

Top Bottom