Alcohol tax at restaurant rant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dunno...having worked in restaurants for quite a while, I kind of feel like if it was a widespread thing I'd have probably heard about it. Granted, I've been out of the food service game for a while, but I don't feel like there's been a revolution in the "paying for the bill" part of the industry in a good long time.
Quick online search shows it's at least a topic being discussed. https://www.quora.com/Why-do-restau...ur-tip-be-the-food-and-drink-total-before-tax

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think many probably tip on the pre-tax. In dollars it doesn't make much difference unless it's a high dollar meal.

Really I don't know that percentage tipping makes much sense anyway. I see very little difference in the work involved bringing me a hamburger vs steak.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think many probably tip on the pre-tax. In dollars it doesn't make much difference unless it's a high dollar meal.

Really I don't know that percentage tipping makes much sense anyway. I see very little difference in the work involved bringing me a hamburger vs steak.
I'm just going to quick math here, but lets say I spend $50 at a restaurant and tax is 10%. That gives a total of $55 and I'll assume a tip percentage of 15%.

$50 * 1.15 = $57.50 + $5 (Still owe 10% tax) = $62.50
$55 * 1.15 = $63.25

For a difference of $0.75. Now maybe I'm a statistical outlier, but that $1 is never going to be missed in my life. But to the server that could make a difference in theirs. It's not like the $1 is going to the government, the restaurant owner or anything like that (unless there's some other shady crap going on) but to the person making 2.13/hr to deal with people all day long.

Now, there certainly could be special situations where using the subtotal is a valid thing. Like if I roll into a Chili's with a buy one get one free coupon or something, that cuts my bill in half, then I'm definitely not tipping on the final price....again, that's just rude to the server if they're delivering quality service for $40 worth of food even if I'm only paying $20.

Edit as I forgot to put the tax back in the total of line 1 when I was mathing quickly which dropped the difference between tipping with total versus tipping on subtotal to a sub $1 difference.

Last edited:

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Yeah, it's not really the percentage. I go to fairly inexpensive places where the girls are running their butts off and doing a great job. I go to fairly expensive places where the guys are running their butts off and doing a great job. I tip both generously - usually the girls more, 'cause I know they are less likely to get good tips selling inexpensive meals.

The dumbass at Andolini's that is simply handing me my order gets no tip. That tipping the guy that simply takes your money is a weird trend. Not just Andolini's either - picked up some "to go" Tex-Mex in Canon City, bill was about 75 bucks (there were several of us) - kid taking my 100 dollar bill asks "do you need change?". Seriously?

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hhhhhhmmmm. I don't know. I never noticed. Honestly.
Found this about the bricktown location - not sure about their other locations. We went to the one in South OKC and honestly didn't pay any attention to signage. If they have it posted, it wasn't in a big, glaring font for everyone to take notice.
OKLAHOMA CITY —The new law allows people with a concealed-carry permit to carry their firearms openly. However, some restaurants in Bricktown say their customers' safety comes first. Neither the Bricktown Brewery and the Brix allow firearms in their establishments.

Latest posts

Top Bottom