Alright everyone, which one is most important?????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A conversation I was having with someone made me question this, but I am wondering who believes that how much you make at your job is more important that loving what you do with less pay.

Now obviously everyone would prefer the " I love my job and make huge amounts of money" classification.

As for me I am thankful to God that I have a wonderful wife who does make really good money, because without her I wouldn't be able to do my current job for the school district as a 1on 1 behavioral aid for children with special needs. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY JOB, buuuuuuuuuuuuuut the pay does kinda suck!

So I was wondering what do you guys think? which is more important, to have a job you love and want to go to, and maybe not get paid what you would like? or to have a job that kinda sucks, with maybe bad hours/boss/whatever, but make really good money?

So which is more important???????????

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Loving your job is the most important. A job is not a means to an end, i.e. retirement. A job or a career should be what you love. Life is the journey itself not suffering through a daily grind for 40 years just so you can enjoy 10 years before you die.

Eddymonster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would love to have the ideal job that I love and make good money doing it but the reality is that I had kids early, before I made something of myself. So now I work a job I don't like that pays ok so I can take care of my responsibilities and get my kids things my dad never did for me.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Loving your job is the most important. A job is not a means to an end, i.e. retirement. A job or a career should be what you love. Life is the journey itself not suffering through a daily grind for 40 years just so you can enjoy 10 years before you die.

drj, THIS is the best quote to a question I HAVE EVER READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This sums it all up right here.... Thank you sir!!!!

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would love to have the ideal job that I love and make good money doing it but the reality is that I had kids early, before I made something of myself. So now I work a job I don't like that pays ok so I can take care of my responsibilities and get my kids things my dad never did for me.

And man there is nothing wrong with that at all. In fact I applaud you for putting them first! but just so you know it's never too late to go to college or vo-tech or whatever you need to do to be what you want to be. I didn't go back to school until I was over 30, but I didn't let that stop me. In fact I don't even use my degree for what it is intended, but it doesn't matter because I wouldn't be able to do what I do now if I didn't have it now. Good luck on whatever you do!

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I go through phases. Sometimes I love what I do, sometimes I do not. I am lucky that so far the money has been really good. Almost two years ago, I added a couple of other practice areas.

I have always had a "business sense" about being an attorney. You would be very, very surprised at how many lawyers do not know the first thing about business.

The best thing is I feel like I do some real good for people who could not otherwise afford to hire a lawyer. Makes me feel great when I keep a "regular working man" from being screwed by Big Business.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I go through phases. Sometimes I love what I do, sometimes I do not. I am lucky that so far the money has been really good. Almost two years ago, I added a couple of other practice areas.

I have always had a "business sense" about being an attorney. You would be very, very surprised at how many lawyers do not know the first thing about business.

The best thing is I feel like I do some real good for people who could not otherwise afford to hire a lawyer. Makes me feel great when I keep a "regular working man" from being screwed by Big Business.

now JB your too rich and powerful for me to even be talking to you without a retainer! Haha. YOU BIG ABULANCE CHASER YOU!!!!!

Just kidding, ya know we all love you! (plus I may need your "free services some day")

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd have to disagree about loving what you do. Sometimes necessity dictates you do something that you don't really "love" per se, because you have to meet obligations.

I work to live, I don't live to work. I work how I do so that I can live well (someday) and support my family well and have time off and means to enjoy that time.

Do I "love" my job? No way. Do I hate it? At times, but not all the time, no. I get through work without dreading every moment. The best (most fun) job I ever had was actually teaching, and I made decent money at it (private education, not public school teacher), but nothing even remotely enough to do the things in life I (we) want to do.

My sacrifice is that I work at a slightly sub-optimal job in order to provide the ability for my wife to be a stay-at-home mom to our son and still provide a good quality of life. To me, that sacrifice is worth it.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd have to disagree about loving what you do. Sometimes necessity dictates you do something that you don't really "love" per se, because you have to meet obligations.

I work to live, I don't live to work. I work how I do so that I can live well (someday) and support my family well and have time off and means to enjoy that time.

Do I "love" my job? No way. Do I hate it? At times, but not all the time, no. I get through work without dreading every moment. The best (most fun) job I ever had was actually teaching, and I made decent money at it (private education, not public school teacher), but nothing even remotely enough to do the things in life I (we) want to do.

My sacrifice is that I work at a slightly sub-optimal job in order to provide the ability for my wife to be a stay-at-home mom to our son and still provide a good quality of life. To me, that sacrifice is worth it.

I don't see that as a disgagreement with us per se, just a different way of viewing how you get what you love out of what you do for a living. I agree, everyone needs to make a certain amount to live well. My only disagreement with people is when they think they have to have a $60-$70K car and a $200k home and other fun toys to enjoy at the sacrifice of the time and ability to enjoy them on the rare times they are off work, or when they are not consumed with the regrets of the jobs they have that afford them. I would rather have just what I need and still have some money in savings, maybe drive a pick-up and a van, live in a $120K house and love spending all my free time with my family. And I have had jobs that paid me well and I had plenty more "toys", but because I hated the jobs I dreaded going to work and when I got off it made me a grumpy person around the house because I constantly thought about having to go back. I can tell you just from my experience my 6 year old daughter would tell you she loves life with daddy now way more than she did 2 years ago. So it does make a difference.

Latest posts

Top Bottom