Alright everyone, which one is most important?????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Love the job. I make less then 1/3 of what I made in well-control. I am home every evening and have time to spend with the family. I was just offered a job last month "in the patch" that would be great money. I said "no" with a smile.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Love the job. I make less then 1/3 of what I made in well-control. I am home every evening and have time to spend with the family. I was just offered a job last month "in the patch" that would be great money. I said "no" with a smile.

I have had the same offers Biggs. and I agree with the consensus, if I needed the money I would do whatever I needed to do. My original post is somewhat a matter of the "what if" factor, I do realize that sometimes people couldn't make this happen without other contributing factors. As i said I would not be able to do the job I have now that I LOVE if it were not for a loving, supporting wife who makes REALLY good money to help me do it.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They say that money isn't everything, mmm.
I'd like to see you live without it!

Took a 25% pay and benifits cut in 2003 and still without a contract. Executives still getting millions in bonuses and stock. Really dislike the company practices, don't mind the work, really enjoy most of the people I work with.
Very underpaid for the liability/responsibilty of the work.
It pays the bills but I don't like going to work.

Peanut, I understand what your saying; however I believe the saying "money isn't everything" really comes down to just what were talking about. Yes money is important because you do have to have it to live, I believe when I say something like that I am trying to convey the message of money is important, but it shouldn't be the biggest contributing factor in the decision. If all other factors are in place when balancing a job offer, such as can I live well on the pay, hours, time off, benefits, do I like or enjoy this type of work, ect. Then decide on which factor or factors are the most important to you and you will probably do well.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been on both sides....while on active duty, I didn't get paid as much as my peers in the civilian sector but I loved my job enough to stay for 22 years. Post retirement I took a contract gig making nearly $200K a year and hated it. Left after 6 months.

I think there is a happy medium...still looking for the job that pays something between those two that might only suck a little bit. LOL.

Last edited:

SABOT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've been on both sides....while on active duty, I didn't get paid as much as my peers in the civilian sector but I loved my job enough to stay for 22 years. Post retirement I took a contract gig making nearly $200K a year and hated it. Left after 6 months.

I think there is a happy medium...still looking for the job that pays something between those too that might only suck a little bit. LOL.

This reminds me of a saying I once heard. Life is like a crap sandwich, the more bread you have the less crap you have to eat.

natgas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really enjoy my current job, especially after 35 years in the energy industry doing stuff I absolutely hated. It's nice to have control and have good people around me who make my job more fun. That being said, I am really looking forward to retirement! :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom