Any Pilots?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is all very true, sometimes it takes awhile to see any career progression but with any job you pay your dues. Sometimes it is just longer than you would have liked. An airline career does not have the glamor that it once had so it is very important to get all the information up front. I enjoy it but it is certainly not for everyone.

Not for everyone, for a while I thought one of my kids would get to where I didn't make it. He got the Commercial, instrument and multi and he was doing great. We flew together many times, including IFR and we had a ball sharing the load. Then all of a sudden he found another calling and he is now in medical school. I hope one day we can start flying together again. We were a good team in the cockpit.

fjtiii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its been an adventure to get where I am now. After 11 moves, two layoffs and 11 different jobs I finally settled here in Tulsa with a good corporate flying job.(hopefully settled). I thank God for an understanding wife.
Having done the airline thing - it was great experience, but I do like going to the different locations. As far as being pressured by the passengers to go when we shouldn't - they leave that up to the pilots to decide.

Speedrat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pilot here also! I fly for a hobby, and if done right can be affordable. I just sold my Cessna 140 to find something different, looking hard at a Citabria, Champ or even a 2-seat biplane. My son, who's 8, and I go to the local fly-ins and do the breakfast/lunch/dinner runs occasionally. It's alot of fun and our airport has the usual crowd of story-tellers and hangar flyers who meet pretty regularly.
Anybody who's interested should just find a local airport and hang out for a while, you'll be surprised at what you may get a ride in!
Anybody in the Tulsa area who would like to go up sometime just send me a PM and I'd be glad to take you up. Just give me a while to get the new plane here (should be within 2 weeks or so) and get comfortable with it then we'll go stir up some air!

Lotahp1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another Student Pilot here. Hope to take my check ride next week. Been working off and on for the ticket since 1996. Just life and money get in the way. A 172 is $149 an hour and an instructor is $50 sooo you want to get it done ASAP now. When I started it was $55 wet with instructor for a 152 in 1996. I just bought the little 2 place plane by my name to rebuild and fly. Its called a Spezio Tuholer.

Kris

oklaccer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At the same time, they may want you to fly when conditions dont permit. airlines understand where corporate doesnt.

I must respectfully disagree with your statement. I have spent time in the 3 major ways of flight. 8 years military, 7 years airline and the past 9 years corporate, with a smattering of Instruction and Charter thrown in. I know there are corporate/charter owners that push the crews to fly, regardless. But they are a DYING breed and many pilots move on right then and there. I was put in that situation once by a charter company, it was my last day working for that owner. The airline philosophy was, if it was legal, you go.
Most corporate owners that invest millions in their airplanes and use it as a business tool are not ready to risk that investment when the pro in the front seat recommends against it. So while your statement may be true in a very limited segment of the community, the majority of operators "understand".

KenL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got my private ticket back in 1997. Realized I didn't have the money it took to make money flying, so it's just a hobby for me. Currently flying an experimental off my own strip. I'd be glad to meet up with any local pilots and talk planes & guns.

Laubage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Air Force pilot here flying AWACS... Great job, and I definitely enjoy it. Don't know how much longer I will pursue it though due to the condition of the civilian sector and being gone all the time. Being a military pilot is a pretty good gig, but that isn't what I hear about the airliners.

RetCapt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, who else on here is a pilot?

Retired 3 yrs ago from AA. Enjoyed the career tremendously until about the last year or so. Retired about 10 months early due to Parkinson's, though it wasn't all that bad. (Still not terribly bad, just got tired of the rat race!)

Flew C-130s in the Guard, enjoyed that as well.

Photo is me in the door of the Super 80 on a turn-around down into Mexico.

ai577.photobucket.com_albums_ss214_JagDrvr_100_0911.jpg

aceflyer001

Marksman
Reaction score
Got my private ticket back in 1994 at KRVS and been flying off and on since. Thought about joining CAP so I could build hours cheaper, but work schedule doesn't allow it right now. Glad to see pilots supporting our 2nd amendment rights as well.

Started a social network for pilots, but I won't post a link here. If interested, you can PM me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom