Anyone have 4 door silverado?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeekShot

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have a 09 LT crewcab 5.3l with a cng conversion done by oem systems in okarche. Runs great and $1.38 per gallon is the best part. I have always been an f150 guy but I will say the ride is better than my 2005 supercrew.

jbnova

Marksman
Reaction score
I have owned 4 chevy crew cabs. I still have an 02 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive with 191,000 miles and the 6.0 gas engine. Still has the original engine and transmission and runs like a top. It even pulled my 32 ft travel trailer to Pennsylvania once when it still had 175,000 miles on it. I traded my 04 1/2 ton crew in on a 09 3/4 Z71 with the Duramax diesel. The 09 now has and 32,000 miles and is a super nice truck with LTZ package. I also pulled my trailer to Pennsylvania with it once and there is no comparison with the power it has to the 02. I also previously owned an 08 1 ton dually but it met in early demise on a icy road and was totalled out by the insurance company. I have no major issues with any of them outside of the normal maintenance but I know some people havent had the same luck.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What was wrong with them? Warping rotors? Pads wearing out? Calipers sticking or leaking???

Lots of squealing and lots of not stopping very well. The dealership turned the rotors 3 times before it was out of warranty which set me up to buy a new set of rotors the first time I had to change the brakes.

ZombieHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow lots of chevy hate, maybe its because the newer style motor and drive-shaft to me is inferior. I JUST bought a MINT condition 98 suburban with 171k on it with all maintenance records going back since date of purchase off the lot, this truck rides and drives better than any 0 mile 2010 I drove.

Anyone who finances a 40,000$ vehicle and trashes it is stupid, I could have a 200,000 miles 92-99 chevy anything and get a half million out of it, sure a new tranny here or there, new brakes every 2 years minimum is required and other crap pops up but how is 3 grand a year in maintenance more expensive than 3 grand a year in interest on a car I can buy for 10 grand after you are done with it for another 15 years. My point is no 02 chevy with less than 150 should be ready to die, if it is than I feel sorry for your chevy.

Edit: As I was re-reading I noticed most of the chevy's you are speaking about being 4 whell drive, I only have experience with 2wd, anything 4wd is unneeded unless rock crawling or trying to make your own path, and who drives 4x4 for DD and then expects it to last 200k without major maintenance.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow lots of chevy hate, maybe its because the newer style motor and drive-shaft to me is inferior. I JUST bought a MINT condition 98 suburban with 171k on it with all maintenance records going back since date of purchase off the lot, this truck rides and drives better than any 0 mile 2010 I drove.

Anyone who finances a 40,000$ vehicle and trashes it is stupid, I could have a 200,000 miles 92-99 chevy anything and get a half million out of it, sure a new tranny here or there, new brakes every 2 years minimum is required and other crap pops up but how is 3 grand a year in maintenance more expensive than 3 grand a year in interest on a car I can buy for 10 grand after you are done with it for another 15 years. My point is no 02 chevy with less than 150 should be ready to die, if it is than I feel sorry for your chevy.

Edit: As I was re-reading I noticed most of the chevy's you are speaking about being 4 whell drive, I only have experience with 2wd, anything 4wd is unneeded unless rock crawling or trying to make your own path, and who drives 4x4 for DD and then expects it to last 200k without major maintenance.

Interesting points, you certainly have an opinion!

I'm not hating on GM, I've been a GM fan for years, and had the "gold standard" in my 94 Extended Cab that I put 283K miles on, it was solid as a rock. Everything after that has been a disapointment, including a 98 Suburban that has been the single worst experience I have had with a vehicle, so bad that GMC provided a hefty incentive to get me into another vehicle. I had an '03 Silverado that was in the shop so much before warranty was out that I had no confidence that it wouldn't be there alot outside of warranty on my dime, so after 15 months and 37K I traded it on the '05 which I had for 5 years and 130K.

I expect 200k miles out of my trucks, I drive alot, and I get 4WD, not for rock crawling, but for the assurance of getting me to and from my destination no matter what the conditions. I expect to maintain the typical items over that mileage. I don't expect to replace cylinder heads, and rebuild transfer cases, that is not typical.

Could I buy an older car, nickel and dime it constantly and save alot of $$'s, sure I could, but I chose not to.

Will the Ford be better? Only time will tell, but for now I like everthing about it much better than the '10 products from any other auto maker.

redline

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 04 Z71 with right at 100K its been awesome I'm about to do the 1st brake job, only issue I've had was the normal steering shaft rattle but I was told by chevy it was safe to drive and it does really bother me it only rattles when turning and hitting bumps at the same time, good luck

gearys 5600

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was a chevy person for years, I bought a new 97 z-71 in 1997, The engine was replaced in that truck 3 times before the truck had 5k miles on it.
I fought with G.M and the dealership to buy back the truck, Never happened, I sold the truck at a loss just to get rid of it. Then in 2002 I got my nerve back up to buy another chevy, I bought a new 2002 suburban.
This was the biggest p.o.s I have ever owned. This suburban was in the shop 15 times before the truck had 15k miles, Left me stranded several times.

I drive a ford truck, my wife drives a ford expedition, I do have a couple of old chevys that I love, a 69 short bed chevy truck, and 67 ss/rs camaro.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got an 04 z71, 5.3 and I've never had an issue with it at all. The only thing I have done to it is add power steering fluid. I too am about to get some brake work done, it's starting to pull a little right when braking. 135k on it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom