BMX Folks: I need your advice...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, someone has their heart set on a used Verde Theory that's probably been ridden fairly rough for $250. Of course, someone's been told by their friends that "ZOMG IT ONLY WEIGHS LIKE 14 POUNDS!!", which made me think "okay, maybe worth it" until I looked up the specs and saw that (to me, the non-bike-person) it seems to be a pretty standard 25lb bike.

Considering that in 6 months this someone's interests will likely change, $250 isn't exactly what anyone wants to put down for a bike. I personally think it's a "because all the cool kids have them" thing, but my opinion doesn't weigh much in this instance.

So, anyone have something similar to recommend at a lower price point?

I personally want to say "if you want something like that, go work for it", but like I said, my opinion doesn't weigh much here.

SlammerG_89

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What kind of use is this going to be for? Is it going to be used all the time or just to look cool with everyone else? Is this person going to be using the bike for some sort of competition or event?

I take it this is for either you are someone in your immediate family?

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What kind of use is this going to be for? Is it going to be used all the time or just to look cool with everyone else? Is this person going to be using the bike for some sort of competition or event?

I take it this is for either you are someone in your immediate family?

For a nephew that won't shut up about it - begging everyone to "pitch in".

Odds are he'll ride it rough with his friends for a few months... maybe even a year, and then move on to another interest (based on past experience).

But it's "ZOMG YOU CAN'T DO BMX WITH ANYTHING LESS THAN A VERDE THEORY!!!"

SlammerG_89

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i used to ride bmx alot when i was a kid. I always rode mongoose bikes and had a redline as well. I won the redline in a drawing. Back then they were about the same price as that used verde theory, now they start at around 400 to 500. Mongoose was good enough for me and i could ride the bejesus out of a mongoose bike and fix it on the go if need be. Didnt cost more than 100 bucks at the most. They were pretty good quality and i beat the crap out of those bmx bikes and they kept on going. If it were me i would tell him parents to just go to wal mart or somewhere that sells bikes and get him a mongoose. Since its just something for fun he doesnt really need all the fancy crap on higher end bikes. If he ever decides to do bmx competitions or stuff like that then maybe but even when i did them i didnt have a fancy bike and i still kicked some tail. Just my 2 cents.

Cavedweller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son rides a Fit TRL 18 and it weighs more that 14#. Verde bikes are Street/Park bikes & 14# is way too light for that type of riding. 24-25# is spot on. You can buy a nice new Kink or Stolen $250. Check out Sessionz Bike Shop or Quickie Mart in Tulsa.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a BMX bike that has a DK General Lee frame, Pitchfork front fork, with original DK front fork also, and I never use it. I'd sell it to you for $200 but it has to wait until after Christmas. Ridden very little then and not at all now.

The aftermarket Pitchfork front fork adds a little weight but its indestructible. I bent the factory one so had them send me a new one and never used it because I figured if it bent once it will bend again. Replaced it with the pitchfork and kept the OEM as a spare. Also has a knobjob(I think) smoother rear tire. Seatpost has been cut, front brake was removed, "Gyro" head set was removed, all in the interest of saving weight. I don't know what the bike weighs now, but I doubt its 25lbs.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got me 1980 Mongoose hanging on the garage wall waiting for me to restore it. Kids of today would laugh at what they called "BMX" back then but those bikes were the Ferrari of our day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom