Carnivore Diet Part Deux

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any folks still on the carnivore train?

I went carnivore at the first of the year for around 3 weeks, pretty strict. I lost 10# pretty quick but haven’t been able to maintain a strict carnivore and have been more in the keto/carnivore lane ever since. I eat lots of protein and fat – beef, bacon, butter, eggs. Carbs are typically well under 100g/day as I’ve taken up snacking on peanuts/almonds as well as natural peanut butter and celery. My bad habit is dark chocolate as well as Coke Zero although it’s been a week with no chocolate, which doesn’t make me happy. This past week or so, my carbs are more in the 50 and under range so pretty certain I’m using fat for energy at this point.

I’m lifting twice per week, progress is up and down but only looking at it based on the amount of weight I’m lifting. I’m trying not to be too concerned with how much as long as I feel I’m working hard at it.

Anyway, I had blood work done in Feb after scarfing beef, bacon, butter and eggs for a month.
YOWZAH!
The standouts were;
Total Cholesterol at 334
LDL at 267
HDL at 48
Triglycerides at 93
Other indicators of a possible trainwreck are within ‘limits’ or just above by a tenth or so.

I have not had a discussion with my doc about these numbers so not sure where what he would say, if anything. Right now, I’m staying on the keto/carnivore path and going with it, just need another cow for the freezer.

BTW, I’m 61, 5’11” and 161#.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any folks still on the carnivore train?

I went carnivore at the first of the year for around 3 weeks, pretty strict. I lost 10# pretty quick but haven’t been able to maintain a strict carnivore and have been more in the keto/carnivore lane ever since. I eat lots of protein and fat – beef, bacon, butter, eggs. Carbs are typically well under 100g/day as I’ve taken up snacking on peanuts/almonds as well as natural peanut butter and celery. My bad habit is dark chocolate as well as Coke Zero although it’s been a week with no chocolate, which doesn’t make me happy. This past week or so, my carbs are more in the 50 and under range so pretty certain I’m using fat for energy at this point.

I’m lifting twice per week, progress is up and down but only looking at it based on the amount of weight I’m lifting. I’m trying not to be too concerned with how much as long as I feel I’m working hard at it.

Anyway, I had blood work done in Feb after scarfing beef, bacon, butter and eggs for a month.
YOWZAH!
The standouts were;
Total Cholesterol at 334
LDL at 267
HDL at 48
Triglycerides at 93
Other indicators of a possible trainwreck are within ‘limits’ or just above by a tenth or so.

I have not had a discussion with my doc about these numbers so not sure where what he would say, if anything. Right now, I’m staying on the keto/carnivore path and going with it, just need another cow for the freezer.

BTW, I’m 61, 5’11” and 161#.
my Doc says the whole cholesterol thing is a myth not to worry about it. he says statins are way worse for you than cholesterol

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyway - what were your numbers before carnivore?

From Aug 2022;
Total Cholesterol at 163
LDL at 109
HDL at 41
Triglycerides at 66

I was actually prescribed a statin around that time based off of a 'diagnosis' from a cardiologist.
He misunderstood when I said I wasn't going to take them so I haven't seen him again.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my Doc says the whole cholesterol thing is a myth not to worry about it. he says statins are way worse for you than cholesterol...

This.

Diabetes and trigs are the big things to worry about. Your (@Droff) HDL could be higher but the trigs look great. As long as these markers are good I wouldn't worry about the cholesterol. If it were me (formerly T2D) I'd ditch the snacking and the peanut butter and keep the chocolate (sugar free) and the Coke to a minimum. You obviously don't need to lose weight so unless your A1C is bad (>5.7) I would stay as low under 100G/per day of carbs as you can. Carnivore can raise cholesterol markers in some people. As long as the other markers are Ok don't sweat it.

You don't say whether or not you smoke or drink alcohol but these are big factors as well.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For me, the diabetes issue wouldn't be a factor for this kind of diet.
I am a diabetic, but I'm type 1, have been since I was 12.
My pancreas doesn't work at all. My diabetes can't be controlled with diet or a pill.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...My pancreas doesn't work at all. My diabetes can't be controlled with diet or a pill.
I would be willing to bet that eating a high carb crap diet would however make it harder to control (e.g. more insulin units). Is this right or wrong?

I'm sure you realize that this kind of diet is not simply just for diabetes control.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I know that. But that is what 75% of the conversations have included in them.
And yes, high carbs do increase the blood sugar. The protein helps stabilize it. Eat a meal like a plate of spaghetti and the blood sugar raises quickly and will drop fast too. Add a good portion of protein and it won't drop near as fast.
Having just a helping of roast for dinner and the blood sugar won't raise very much at all.
I believe if you are very active, you need a balance. Plenty of protein in the meal with some carbs. (Pasta or bread)

Latest posts

Top Bottom